Butter: Is It Healthy?

by in Is It Healthy?, June 26, 2012
butter Can butter be a part of a healthy diet?

One of the most controversial debates in the nutrition world – can butter be part of a healthy diet?

There’s something deliciously simple about good old butter. It’s made from nothing but cream and salt, not the laundry list of ingredients you’ll find in tubs of butter alternatives. One tablespoon has 7 percent of your daily needs for vitamin A and even a hint (45 milligrams) of omega-3 fats.

The flavor and velvety smooth texture is second to none. Lobster rolls, croissants, fettuccine Alfredo and chocolate cake just wouldn’t be the same without at least a little.

Butter is pure fat – one has tablespoon has 11 grams of fat and 100 calories. The majority of the fat (7 grams) is the artery clogging saturated kind. That same pat of butter also has 30 milligrams of cholesterol, 10% of the daily recommendation.

The Verdict
Butter can absolutely be part of your healthy eating plan. For everyday spreads, a pat of nut butters or non-trans fat butter alternatives can do the trick — spread those on your toast as an alternative to butter. But for some recipes, like baked goods and sauces, only butter will do the trick — savor these in moderation.

Tell Us: Do you make room in your diet for butter?

Tags:

Cheese: Is It Healthy?

Does this dairy delight have a place in your healthy eating plan? Although cheese has gotten bad press for being high in artery-clogging fat, choosing the right ones can provide important nutrients to your diet.

1. Alessia says:

I use soy butter or olive oil spread but only once or twice a week.

2. Shelley Adams says:

All natural ingredients , not 1 molecule away from being plastic !!! Moderation … Bon Apetit !!

3. Being made with simple, all-natural ingredients, butter is the only way that I go when I'm looking to add a touch of extra richness to a dish. A little goes a long way, and nothing tastes quite like the real deal.

4. Babs Hogan says:

Yes, I eat butter instead of margarine or butter substitutes. Remember what Walter Willett, M.D. said, "Fat is not the problem."

5. Heck yes I eat butter! If there's a lower-cal substitute that will do the job (like "I can't believe it's not butter" for topping veggies or frying eggs, or olive oil spreads for baking healthier muffins), I'll definitely do that first. But sometimes nothing will hit the spot like a pat of real, rich butter. And I have no problem eating butter at those times! I can't imagine a diet/lifestyle that didn't make room for the good stuff now and then.

6. Virginia says:

I use butter because it is natural and healthier in my mind and definitely tastes better

7. jazzmom says:

you bet i use butter. made the switch many years ago. you cant go wrong with cream and salt! I also use (GASP) LARD! in pie crusts and to get my BACON started in the morning!

8. PatMay says:

I use honey mustard when making sandwiches instead of butter or margarine. My husband isn't able to eat butter for it bothers his stomach big time so we do use becel. So, I use olive oil, almond butter and becel when cooking.

9. Roseann Parker says:

Butter is is real food and I use it daily. . Remember back in the day when the experts said margarine was healthier? Then along came trans fats, saturated fats, etc. I no longer trust the experts on this subject and prefer to have a diet consisting of a wide variety of natural, organic food.

10. Mitchell says:

I personally use lard. Believe it or not, it's healthier than butter!