Have You Tried: Anchovies?

by in Have You Tried, June 18, 2012
anchovies
Have you tried these little guys?

Love ‘em or hate ‘em, there’s no denying that anchovies are chock full of nutritional goodness. Now is the perfect time to give these small fish a first or second chance.

What Are Anchovies?
These small, silvery fish are members of the herring family. They are about 1 to 4 inches in length and have been eaten around the world for thousands of years. These fish taste pretty fishy and salty—which can make them overwhelming if you don’t know how to balance their flavor. Anchovies also have a fifth taste, called umami, a savory taste found in foods high in the amino acid glutamate.

Anchovies are typically filleted, salt-cured and canned in oil. They can be found in the canned tuna and salmon section at your grocery store. Canned anchovies can be stored for up to 1 year in a cool, dry place. Once opened, store in the refrigerator in a sealed container covered with oil for up to 2 months. To decrease its saltiness, soak in cool water for about 20-30 minutes, drain and pat dry with a paper towel.

Healthy Attributes
Five anchovies canned in oil and drained have only 42 calories, 6 grams of protein, 2 grams of fat and 17 milligrams of cholesterol — that’s 6% of your daily recommended dose. They contain 20% of your daily recommended amount of niacin and 19% of selenium. They also have calcium, iron and phosphorus. Much of the fat found in anchovies comes from unsaturated fat, including omega-3′s.

5 Ways to Love Anchovies

Tell Us: Have you tried anchovies?

Tags:

Have You Tried: Kimchi?

Warning: Once you try this spicy Korean condiment you’ll be hooked. Here’s why it’s an addiction you can feel good about. What is Kimchi? Kimchi (sometimes spelled kimchee) is made from a combination of cabbage, chiles, garlic, salt and vinegar. Depending on the season, other veggies like radishes, cucumbers and carrots may also make itRead more

Comments (1,231)

1. I love anchovies.
    Try them on a slice of bread with little butter on it and the fillet above. It is very used here in Italy to accompany aperitifs.
    Personally, when talking about anchovies, the recipe that comes to my mind is this (easy) one: http://allaboutitalianfood.com/2012/06/19/tuna-pa
    Buon appetito!

2. Martin says:

Thanks for reminding me of one of my favorite foods :) Gotta buy some tomorrow. I know it could sound strange, but I like them with cereals (yes, really haha). Thanks for the tip!

3. Reuben says:

Gonna have to try them. I understand anchovy is a secret ingredient in Worcesteshire sauce.

4. melanied75 says:

Love, love, love anchovies! I'll pop open a can two or three times a week. Just eat them straight out of the can. Didn't know they were sooooo healthy. I like the thought of the butter, anchovie and bread, yummy.

5. Linda says:

I love them too. Mostly, I eat them with an antipasto salad or on pizza. You either love 'em or hate 'em. There's no in between!

6. Nicholas Izzo says:

If you lovew

• Nicholas Izzo says:

Sorry about that – as I was saying; if you love anchovies try buy fresh ones – I get them from my fish monger. They are the original color and the taste does not compare to the canned ones which are over salted – worth looking for

7. Dink says:

My sister in law HATES anchovies…..or so she thinks…..ha ha. She loves my Caesar salad dressing, and so many of my dinner recipes and I NEVER tell her what's in the recipe, because she would all of a sudden not like them anymore.

8. Tracie says:

Boy have anchovies gotten a bad rep. I can't say I like them on my pizza or any other fish for that matter, but we do love them straight out of the can. We live in a small mountain community and can't get them fresh or I'm sure we would love them just as much.

9. sheila says:

what about olives stuffed with anchovies from Wegmans
    they r delicious