Nutrition News: Soda Debate Bubbles Up

by in Food News, June 10, 2012

soda
In an effort to help New Yorkers clean up their diets, Mayor Bloomberg has proposed a ban on large-sized sugary drinks. Will NYC lead the trend for other cites fighting the battle of the bulge?

The Fizzy Facts
If it were to take effect, this law would ban the sale of sugary beverages larger than 16 fluid ounces (2 cups). Fast food chains, restaurants, delis, food carts and sports arenas would have to comply. Vending machines and large bottles sold at supermarkets would not be affected.

A standard vending machine bottle of soda (20 fluid ounces) may contain anywhere from 16 to 22 teaspoons of sugar – that’s 240 to 330 empty calories! Energy drinks and sweetened teas (also part of the ban) contain high doses of added sweeteners as well.

Hot Topic
Everyone from politicians to celebrities are weighing in on this subject (who knew soda sippage could be so tumultuous?). Camp Bloomberg insists this will instill some much needed portion control. Those on the other side of the fence are calling it violation of personal rights that won’t put a dent in ever-rising obesity rates.

As a nutrition professional, I say why not limit these unnecessarily large drinks? Every little bit helps. BUT for this to have an impact, education is key. Let folks understand what they’re putting into their bodies and then let them decide if they want to make a change in their diet.

Tell Us: Are you in favor of the soda ban?

Tags:

This Week’s Nutrition News Feed

In this week’s news: Some Americans — but not all — are eating better; junk-food cravings may be all in our minds; and back-to-schoo...

1. Charlotte says:

It is interesting to me they only worry about sugar in soda. Have you ever checked labels and found that sugar is a major ingredient in most foods? I was amazed when my husband was diagnosed with diabetes. I don't agree in only offering only sugar free items because there are people that can't use them either. I can't use Splenda and I met someone that has reactions to all artificial sweeteners. So, I don't want people telling me what I can and cannot eat!

2. All1g8r says:

I am in favor of avoiding sodas. I am not in favor of the government banning them.

It's nothing short of ironic that the same people who tell the government to get their hands off our bodies when it comes to things like abortion have no problem letting them dictate whether we eat soda or send our children to school with a cough drop in their book bags.

3. j.evans says:

What about coffee’s ? Dare I mention Starbucks that has become a household name for ALL ages?

4. jules_rules says:

Bring back Mayor Giuliani!!!!!!!!

5. Art says:

You know that they are so worried about the sugar content they should look at the additive ASPARTAME it's not a good product they put in alot of sugarfree pop juice and candy like sugarfree gum and lifesavers type candies go online people and read about this additive ASPARTAME you will not like what you'll read!!

6. @RedeoLife says:

If people really want to change, then it has to come from the inside not the outside. Regulation isn't going to solve people's attitude towards what to eat.

What is the point of changing the outer environment when you still are the same person on the inside?

As soon as you leave that environment for another you fall into the trap of bulging again.

There is not real change made.

7. I don't see a problem. Most Americans are fat and incredibly unhealthy. Yeah, i know.. we're supposed to have constitutional rights, but I don't see this as a direct violation of those rights. Nobody is limiting how much soda you can drink. they're limiting how much soda can be sold by retailers. I see no issue with this.

8. Linda says:

If the govt gets involved with our diet what will be next? The amount of time we spend in the sun? After all, over exposure to the sun can cause cancer. Will we be fined for leaving the house without sunscreen or arrested for staying outside too long?

9. JohnR says:

Hmmm….fast food restaurants would have to comply? OK, that does away with the super-size drinks, but if I'm in McDonalds or Burger King, I don't order a super-size coke. I order a small and refill it however many times I want to.

10. When I first saw this title Nutrition News: Soda Debate Bubbles Up | Healthy Eats – Food Network Healthy Living Blog on google I just whent and bookmark it.