Is It Healthy: Hot Sauce

by in Is It Healthy?, June 7, 2012
hot sauce
Is hot sauce healthy?

A little goes a long way but is this fiery sauce worth the heat? Here are the cool facts.

One teaspoon of hot sauce has zero calories, 6 percent of your daily dose of vitamin C and 119 milligrams of sodium. This condiment helps spice up dishes for very few calories.

Hot sauce gets its burn from a compound found in hot peppers known as capsaicin. The spiciness of hot sauce depends on the type of chili pepper and spices used. That’s why the heat (and capsaicin) will vary from brand to brand.

Although some folks believe spicy foods including hot sauce is a stomach irritant, researchers believe that capsaicin can help decrease the risk of peptic ulcers. Though too much can also irritate your stomach — the ideal amount still needs to be further studied. Studies have shown that it can slightly increase your metabolism several hours after eating.

Too much hot sauce can just be unpleasantly overpowering. It’s also extremely irritating to the eyes — am I the only one whose rubbed my eyes after touching hot sauce? OUCH!

Hot sauce also has sodium— if you’re adding tablespoons at a time, the milligrams can quickly add up.

There is a lot of misconception about the weight loss effects of capsaicin. Although it will help slightly increase your metabolism after consuming, it will not help melt the calories magically away.

The Verdict?
Don’t be afraid of the heat! A little goes a long way; no need to go overboard. Add a dash of hot sauce to soups, sauces, sandwiches, chicken wings, burgers, nachos, quesadillas, tacos or to a bloody Mary.

TELL US: We’re planning a hot sauce taste test. What’s your favorite brand?

Cheese: Is It Healthy?

Does this dairy delight have a place in your healthy eating plan? Although cheese has gotten bad press for being high in artery-clogging fat, choosing...

Comments (1,324)

1. Browny says:

El Yucateco Extra Hot Habanero is one of my favs, closest to homemade caribbean hot sauce!!! Ancient Mayan recipe supposedly…Delish!!!

2. ingmarie says:

sriracha is my favourite hot sauce, on my salads i use Bronco Bob's chipotle/raspberry.YUM

3. guest says:

I'm from the Caribbbean (Trinidad), so i make my own.We have a number of pepper varieties, all much hotter than haberneros,jalapenos and chillis.
    Some are bird pepper, scotch bonnet, 7 pod and scorpion.Bird is mildest while scorpion is hotttest (not for the faint hearted !)
    A simple recipe is pepper (single variety or combo, depending on heat required),garlic, salt,lime juice, with a little hot water to blend using a food processsor or blender.
    For those peeps out there who love really hot sauce, look for one made in Trinidad or Jamaica.

4. im_pinoy says:

I love Franks Red hot . Just wanna ask because I've heard this from my friends . Is it really true that if you're fond to hot sauce , hot foods – foods that contains chillis , spicy foods that increases your sexual urge?

5. Nicole says:

Cholula…a little heat but tangy. Sriracha for other things like spicy mayo!

6. MargeSpann says:

Like Frank's Hot Sauce!

7. [...] Is It Healthy: Hot Sauce by Toby Amidor Share this:TwitterFacebookLike this:LikeBe the first to like this. Written by SuperDel Posted in Nutrition Tagged with hot sauce [...]

8. I get many emails from folks who have burned their skin when cutting chili peppers. Or they've cut chili peppers and rubbed their eye, resulting in a stinging burn.

9. a2106625 says: