- Comments (348)
With the hustle and bustle of everyday life, there’s often very little time to plan for meals and snacks, let alone cook. So what do you do when your stomach grumbles when you’re on-the-run? If you’re super hungry, maybe you grab those month-old candies at the bottom of your purse or the candy bar sitting around since Halloween. It truly doesn’t have to be this way. With a little advanced planning and some creative HealthyEats ideas, you can grab nutritious and delicious snacks even on your busiest days.
- Homemade granola (2 tablespoons) sprinkled over 6-ounces of nonfat yogurt
- Homemade trail mix
- Make your own muffins like these banana-chocolate chip or apple muffins
- Homemade energy bars
- Freshly popped popcorn
- Chocolate-covered banana pops
- Frozen grapes: place fresh grapes in a freezer-safe bag or container and freeze
- String cheese and whole grain crackers
- Breakfast bars
- Snack bars
- Drinkable Greek yogurt
- Fresh fruit like apples, bananas, oranges, pears and grapes
- Small veggies like baby carrots, mini cukes, snap peas, or slice up your favorite vegetables in advance and bag them individually
- Unsalted pretzels
- Hummus bowls
- Almonds packed in perfectly portioned snack tins
Whether you choose a homemade or store-bought snack, you need to make sure they’re close when hunger strikes. Stock up on ingredients so they’re readily available to grab-and-go. Wash fruits and store in a bowl on the countertop. Store yogurts in the fridge with a stack of disposable spoons. Stash granola, breakfast bars or individually packaged granola or trail mixtures in your desk, purse, or backpack—just be mindful of expiration dates. If you’re making muffins from scratch, make a double batch, wrap individually, and store in the freezer.
TELL US: Which healthy snacks do you grab on the fly?
You Might Also Like:
Toby Amidor, MS, RD, CDN, is a registered dietitian and consultant who specializes in food safety and culinary nutrition. See Toby’s full bio »
A fridge filled with health-promoting ingredients is an amazing thing. Next time you stand there scanning the shelves, make sure these foods are within reach. 1) Homemade Salad Dressing Think that bottled dressings are just as good as homemade? Check the ingredient list and it might change your mind. Most store-bought bottles are high inRead more