Bacon: Good or Bad?

by in Healthy Tips, Is It Healthy?, January 10, 2012
bacon
Can bacon be part of a healthy diet?

Some folks love it, others cringe at the very thought. Smoked and cured fatty cuts of meat aren’t typically considered nutritious, but can this pork delicacy be part of a healthy diet?

Nutrition Facts
One slice of regular cut-bacon (about 1-ounce) has 35 calories, 3 grams of total fat (1 gram of saturated fat), and 145 milligrams of sodium, which is about 6 percent of the daily recommendation. No-so-healthy preservatives called nitrates are often added to packaged bacon to prevent growth of bacteria and to maintain color. You may be able to find nitrate free bacon at your local butcher, farmers’ market or high-end grocer.

Why We Love Bacon
The upside to bacon – its flavor! While salt and grease won’t do your waistline any favors, your taste buds may feel differently. Instead of noshing on slice after slice of oily pan-fried strips, use a modest amount to flavor an entire dish. Soups, pasta, sauteed vegetables and egg dishes can all get a flavor boost from a slice or two. Rendering a small amount of fat in the pan before adding other ingredients allows you to cash in on the flavor without going overboard.

If you do have a yen for a slice or two on a sandwich, bake in the oven on a baking rack (like Ina Garten does in this recipe). This way your bacon won’t be swimming in grease.

Gobble or Oink?
Some brands of turkey bacon may be lower in fat than traditional pork cuts but they can also be higher in sodium. There are lots of variations across brands, so read labels carefully.

Pork-derived Canadian bacon from the back of the animal is also a leaner choice. Its cured and salty and a nice choice for breakfast sandwiches and quiche.

Bottom Line: Whichever bacon you choose, modest portions are key.

Tell Us: Do you squeal for bacon?

You Might Also Like:

Dana Angelo White, MS, RD, ATC, is a registered dietitian, certified athletic trainer and owner of Dana White Nutrition, Inc., which specializes in culinary and sports nutrition. See Dana’s full bio »

Tags:

Countdown to New Year’s: No-Resolutions Resolution Week 4

For the fourth week of our No-Resolutions Resolution game plan, let’s get serious about snacking, a habit that often gets a bad rap. But it’s actu...

1. Betty says:

i found that the pre-cooked bacon (oscar meyer) has the fat already cooked out and is low in calories as well. I just pop a couple pieces in a paper towel & microwave for 30 seconds. It also is easy for BLT's in the summer, especially when you can get good tomatoes.

2. Sparky says:

Why are you all bacon haters ? I love bacon! But I must admit I am a bacon snob, I shopped around and found the best, tastiest, smokiest bacon from my local butcher. We butchered our own pig, so we know the meat is organic, and take the belly to this shop, where they brine and smoke it for us, nitrate free. Nothing better than that !

3. Heather says:

I love bacon, but only allow myself a few slices a week. If I crave more, I turn to turkey bacon. I love Jeanie-O and Morning Star Farms & although it doesn't taste the same it's still satisfying.

4. Deb says:

We eat the low sodium turkey bacon. Cook it between paper towels in the microwave. Not quite as good as pork bacon but much healthier. Indulge in that once or twice a month.

• Deb says:

Plan to indulge soon and try a recipe I just found for biscuits called "The Fat Elvis" It has peanut butter, bananas and bacon!

5. Good or Bad? Well i love bacon so i thinks its great! Unfortunately a lot of fat though!

6. Adebiyi Eniola says:

No food is harmful or toxic so far its intake is nt in excess in relatn 2 ur body needs

7. Debbe says:

MUST occassionally indulge in the real thing, but not every day. That keeps it manageable. And yes, I've forgotten how to spell! Is that bacon's fault?

8. Ed S says:

Bacon Bacon Bacon

9. Cindy says:

I love bacon, halve the package, and either do it in the oven or the fry pan. Don't have a mw and don't intend on ever getting one. That's the worst way to make it.

10. myspork says:

I do love me some bacon, but I can't eat it due to my amine allergy. I want to try to make bacon with a short-cure and smoking out of beef, but I haven't been that ambitious yet. Haha.

Michelle F