12 Days of Holiday Gifts: Infused Vodka by Dana Angelo White in 12 Days of Holiday Gifts, Healthy Holidays, December 5, 2011
- Comments (1,487)
Spiking vodka with seasonal flavors makes a festive and creative gift. A 1.5 fluid ounce “shot” of vodka contains about 100 calories and most infusions add no additional calories. Those made with sugar will add 15 calories per teaspoon.
To infuse, combine vodka and desired flavorings in a sealed container and allow to steep in a cool, dry place for at least 1 week. The longer it sits, the more flavorful it will be. When mixture reaches desired potency, strain and it’s ready to serve.
Turn up the volume with these flavor-bursting combinations. Each of the measurements below is enough to infuse a 750-milliliter bottle of vodka (that’s just over 3 cups).
• Add the zest of 2 tangerines and 1 lime
• Serve on the rocks or mixed with tonic or club soda
• Add 3 to 4 hot chilies (or more to taste), using a sharp knife make a slit down the middle of each pepper
• Perfect for a spicy Blood Mary at a post-holiday brunch
• Check out Michael Chiarello’s recipe
• Add a splash of cranberry juice and orange liqueur for a batch of festive cosmos
• Add 2 sprigs of fresh lavender and 1 large vanilla bean, split
• Shake with ice, lemonade and splash of lemon-lime soda for a taste of summer
Red & Green
• Take this Food Network Kitchen’s recipe for Orange Vodka and swap in red or green candies
• Serve on the rocks or in a martini
To package flavored vodka as a gift, re-purpose a wine bottle. Wash an empty bottle well to remove labels. Top with a cork or wine stopper. For an extra special twist, paint the front of the bottle with chalkboard paint and write a message.