- Comments (1,569)
I have 3 kids with completely different personalities, but one thing is for sure—they’re all messy eaters. Like most moms, cleaning up after their mess becomes never-ending and frustrating. There are several things I do to make snacking less messy, especially when I’m on the go. Hopefully these tips can clean a little mess out of your life.
Those yogurt tubes are a mess waiting to happen. I’ve banned them from my car after a terrible experience with my 6-year old. Here are a few cleaner ideas:
- Whole fruit like apples, pears, bananas
- Baby carrots, snap peas and cucumber slices
- Frozen grapes
- Drinkable yogurt with a straw. Instead of peeling the aluminum cover off, poke a hole in the top with a straw.
- Applesauce-on-the-go pouches; they’re less messy than tubes or cups.
- Hummus bowls: With bite-sized crackers, they are fewer crumbs to clean up after.
- These carrot dippers won’t spill when you tote them around;
- Whole grain waffle for your kids to eat like a cookie.
- Cubes of cheese or string cheese
- Granola or breakfast bars
It’s the little things that can really make mom happy. Try these less messy containers for the younger ones.
- Boon Snack Ball: I found this snack container at a recent nutrition conference I attended. It’s a great non-messy cup you don’t have to be afraid to put in your purse. It can also double as a toy.
- Munchkin Snack Catcher: Less messy for cereal, raisins, or small crackers.
- Gyro Bowl: My friends swear by this bowl that doesn’t tip!
TELL US: What’s a non-messy snack you serve up?
You Might Also Like:
- Tips for Eating With Your Kids at a Restaurant
- Play Date Snacks Kids Will Love
- Kids’ Nutrition Basics from a Top Children’s Dietitian
Toby Amidor, MS, RD, CDN, is a registered dietitian and consultant who specializes in food safety and culinary nutrition. See Toby’s full bio »
— Long a mainstay of South Asian cooking, turmeric adds zing to curries and other dishes. But it has also been used in Eastern cultures for thousands of years for its medicinal properties. More recently, turmeric has caught the attention of Western researchers who have been studying the herb and its potential health benefits. “OneRead more