Fast Fridge Fixes: Gluten-Free Roasted Mushroom Recipes

by in Uncategorized, October 19, 2011
roasted mushrooms
Use this simple staple to make two gluten-free weeknight dinners. Photo by Silvana Nardone

How do I keep the dinner pressure down in my kitchen? Along with the regular stress of beating the dinner rush with my two kids screaming that they’re hungry, my meals need to be gluten free. I’ve got my hands full, right? Not anymore.

Since my son Isaiah was diagnosed four years ago with both gluten and dairy intolerances, I thought I’d never come around to enjoying cooking and baking again. I was so wrong. It not only woke me up to the possibilities of what my family would eat, but how we would eat. Now, dinnertime is easy with my fast fridge fixes.

First, I make a low-maintenance, but high-impact basic recipe—like Dry Roasted Mushrooms (below)—that I keep on hand in the fridge. Then, throughout the week, I’m ready to get dinner done fast with my easy mix-in mains, like Roasted Mushroom­–Stuffed Chicken Roll-Ups or Roasted Mushroom Grilled Cheese. So easy, you don’t even need a recipe.

raw mushrooms
Raw mushrooms, about to be roasted. Photo by Silvana Nardone

Dry Roasted Mushrooms

If you’ve never tasted dry-roasted mushrooms, get ready for a juicy, caramelized experience.

Makes: Enough for 4 sandwiches or 8 chicken roll-ups

26 ounces thinly sliced mixed mushrooms (such as button, cremini, shiitake and oyster)
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into pieces (or more olive oil)
4 cloves garlic, smashed
Salt
¼ cup finely chopped parsley

1. Preheat the oven to 325º. Scatter the mushrooms on a large baking sheet and roast, stirring occasionally, until liquid has released and evaporated, about 35 minutes.

2. Drizzle the mushrooms with the olive oil and top with the butter and garlic; season with ¾ teaspoon salt. Return to the oven and roast until shriveled and dark, 35 to 40 minutes. Toss in the parsley.

mushroom-stuffed chicken roll-ups
Roasted Mushroom­–Stuffed Chicken Roll-Ups: Crispy on the outside and gluten-free; coat with tortilla chips instead of breadcrumbs. Photo by Silvana Nardone

Roasted Mushroom­–Stuffed Chicken Roll-Ups

Want dairy free? Swap in some fresh spinach or use your favorite cheese substitute.

Preheat the oven to 400°. Grease a baking sheet with olive oil. Place 8 chicken breast cutlets on a work surface. Top each with 1 ounce of cream cheese, shredded cheddar and Dry Roasted Mushrooms. Roll up and secure with toothpicks. Place 3 beaten eggs and 2 cups finely ground corn tortilla chips into two separate shallow plates. Dip the chicken roll-ups into the eggs, then coat with the tortilla chips. Place on the prepared baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil and cook until golden and the cheese oozes, 25 to 30 minutes.

mushroom grilled cheese
Roasted Mushroom Grilled Cheese, made with 'fridge staples and gluten-free hamburger buns. Photo by Silvana Nardone

Roasted Mushroom Grilled Cheese

No panini press? Just heat olive oil in a skillet over medium-low heat, add the sandwiches and weigh them down with a smaller skillet filled with two soup cans. Cook, turning once, for about 8 minutes total.

Heat a panini press. Remove some of the soft insides of a gluten-free hamburger bun. Spread Dijon mustard on each top half and fill with Roasted Mushroom Grilled Cheese . Spread Roasted Mushroom Grilled Cheese on each bottom half and top with chopped hazelnuts and arugula. Place on a panini press and cook until golden and warm, about 3 minutes.

Silvana Nardone is a food lifestyle expert, magazine editor and motivational speaker. She is the editor-in-chief of the all-digital, gluten-free magazine, Easy Eats. Silvana is also the author of Cooking for Isaiah: Gluten-Free & Dairy-Free Recipes for Easy, Delicious Meals and publisher of Silvana’s Kitchen, a blog that takes the guesswork out of how to feed a family with food allergies. Previously, she was the founding editor-in-chief of Every Day with Rachael Ray.

Thinking of Going Paleo? Nom Nom Says, Yes!

You don’t have to eat just like a caveman to call yourself Paleo. Or at least that’s the attitude of Paleo blogger and cookbook author Michelle Ta...

Comments (2,865)

1. glutenfreerichmond says:

These look really amazing and I love the idea of coating the chicken in crushed tortilla chips!

2. Cheri says:

What a nice change for someone who has to eat gluten-free, like myself…Can't wait to give these recipes a try…Love the idea of coating the chicken with crushed tortilla chips!!!

3. Lily says:

I have been following a strict gluten free diet for about 4 months now and I still get frustrated with it. It’s great to see more people addressing gluten free food.

4. Dave Stearns says:

The reason WHY gluten is an issue, is because wheat is a Genetically Modified Organism (GMO). All purpose flour has twice as much gluten, as it did, 30 yrs ago. We have been double ingesting this protein, for over 10 years, now. We didn't change, the wheat did… Reverse engineer the wheat…

• Vivi says:

I agree, all the modifications on seeds to make them bigger or resistant to certain environmental factors have change what we are consuming, thus affecting our immune system. Our body is not capable of recognizing all these new GMOs and we are overloading it with them. Unfortunately, powerful companies are behind all the genetically re-designed foods and they'll continue to do so as long as there is $$ to be made.

5. chefjt 5647908 says:

It should be noted that the crushed tortilla chips must be corn – flour just won't do for gluten free!

6. swarna says:

This great ideas,just found out ,i am celiac.

7. Guest says:

Your recipes look delicious. Thanks for making sharing your delicious gluten-free recipes,

8. Momo says:

Yum the wrapped chicken and grilled cheese chicken look so amazing… now to find someone to make them for me so I don't have to BWAHAHAHA!

9. Holly O says:

Found these great products that my husband and I are so excited to have found. They are gluten free, dairy free, sodium free, etc. so I had to share. You can place orders online by using coupon code OHIO5 for a discount at http://www.criobru.com. There is Crio Brü that is a brewed drink made from cocoa (ka’kao) beans. (Our favorite flavor is the Cavalla) You actually brew the ground cocoa beans like you would brew coffee! i.e. a coffee maker or french press, then if preferred add sweetener and/or creamer to taste. It is rich in health benefits, such as antioxidants and minerals, has low calories and carbs, and no fat, sugar, sodium, or gluten. Then there are the amazing Crio Beans—a raw cocoa (ka’kao) bean covered in dark chocolate, which is also gluten free, cholesterol free, sodium free, soy free, and dairy free. It’s like eating a healthy m&m! Orders can be placed online by using coupon code OHIO5 for a discount at http://www.criobru.com

10. meperry says:

The roasted mushroom grilled cheese looks great, but I am confused as to what it inside the sandwich… is there a typo?