Food News: Minibars, Vending Machines Offer Healthy Alternatives

by in Food News, August 7, 2011
vending machine
Coming to a vending machine near you: healthy snacks.

Hotel and resort minibars are getting a healthy makeover. The Hyatt Hotels Corp. and Four Seasons are just two companies in a handful of hotel chains opting for healthier minibar options, according to a recent Marketwatch report. Instead of the traditional calorie-filled junk food fare, guests can choose to snack on products like organic Clif Bars, Terra chips and gluten-free energy bars.

Why the sudden change of heart? Hotel patrons are actually clamoring for healthy options. The trail mix and cashews outsell the chocolate cookies, and Fiji Water is the minibar’s most popular item at the Loews Coronado Bay Resort in San Diego, Adam Martindale, the resort’s director of food and beverage, told Marketwatch.

Staples like chips, sodas, candy and alcohol aren’t going away, but by providing more organic, gluten-free and low-calorie snacks, travelers may be more apt to purchase something from the minibar rather than not.

Resorts aren’t the only ones turning to healthy alternatives. According to a press release from Fresh Healthy Vending, the company’s climate-controlled vending machines are in more than 600 campuses across the country.

The goal in offering products from Kashi, Stonyfield Farm and popchips is to “help make the collective, and individual, student body healthier,” Jolly Backer, the CEO of Fresh Healthy Vending, said in the release.

It’s not uncommon for students to crave snacks on campus and, according to the release, Healthy Vending is there to make sure students have healthy alternatives every step of the way.

“The ability to put a healthy vending machine on campus is essential,” Backer said in a recent interview. “It gives kids and college students access to quick, convenient foods that are also packed with the nutrition they need.”

TELL US: Do healthy offerings make you more likely to purchase a snack from a mini bar or vending machine?

FDA Says: Menu Calorie Counts are Headed Your Way

Soon, thanks to new FDA regulations, it will prove significantly more challenging to ignore how many calories are lurking in the foods on the menus at...

1. Molly says:

There's a new company out of Nashville, TN, called Naturally Delicious! It's vending machines that offer healthy and organic snacks.

2. @Chef_Laurie says:

This is a great step in the right direction

3. Deborah says:

Yes, I'd be more likely to purchase something if a healthy option were made available. I especially look for something with protein (like nuts) because if I'm desperate enough to seek out a vending machine, then I am REALLY in a hunger pinch….and protein holds off the hunger much longer than a bag of chips or a handful of cookies would.

4. Mindy says:

I've seen whole-wheat pretzels in vending machines. seems like a step in the right direction, like Laurie said.

5. Jayne says:

I've seen the Naturally Delicious Vending Machines in Nashville too! I think it's great! Everything from Almonds, to Pop Chips, yogurt etc. They even have a large selection of local all natural products- which I love the local angle. I think by providing healthier options we are making it easier for people to pic something healthier!

6. Robert says:

Fresh Healthy Vending is in Nashville too, check this out http://www.tennessean.com/article/20110727/WILLIA

7. Steve R says:

If you want healthy, the best way to do it at work is with what is called a MicroMarket.

It is a vending replacement that has 5 times the variety of vending. The restrictions of vending are often what causes the machine operators to carry only the highest selling items, which are not healthy items.

Take a look for yourself http://www.365retailmarkets.com

8. Howdy my children member! I have to claim that this article is amazing, excellent written and may include roughly crucial infos. I would like to glimpse added posts in this way .

9. akb48 dvd says:

I simply wanted to develop a small note so as to say thanks to you for these pleasant ways you are placing at this website. My long internet investigation has at the end been paid with reasonable strategies to write about with my co-workers. I ‘d repeat that many of us visitors are really endowed to be in a magnificent site with so many outstanding professionals with insightful tips and hints. I feel rather fortunate to have encountered the webpage and look forward to so many more brilliant minutes reading here. Thanks once more for all the details.

10. SuOLbrSF says:

SuOLbrSF…

Food News: Healthier Snacks in Hotels and Vending Machines | Healthy Eats – Food Network Healthy Living Blog…