- Comments (5)
Calories in and calories out — the calories you eat from food are expended with physical activity. When eating outweighs what you’re burning, you can pack on the pounds. High-cal foods take more exercise to get rid of, and sometimes it makes it more real to visualize just how much moving you’d have to do to shed those decadent calories.
Crunching the Numbers
The values below are average based on a 155-pound person.
- 2 small scoops of chocolate ice cream = 1 hour 20 minutes of tennis
- 1 medium strawberry milkshake = 1 hour 30 minutes of high intensity aerobics
- 1 slice cheesecake (restaurant portion) = 1 hour 10 minutes on the elliptical trainer
Fast Food Frenzy
- A large order of French fries = 1 hour of swimming laps
- Bacon cheeseburger = 1 hour of fast running at 8 mph
- Fried chicken sandwich = 45 minutes hiking
- 1 slice pepperoni pizza = 30 minutes of medium-paced jogging
- Medium-sized movie popcorn with butter = 1 hour 20 minutes of downhill skiing
- 1 order General Tso’s chicken = 2 hours on the stair-climber
- A candy bar = 1 hour of brisk walking at 3.75 mph
- A (12-fluid ounce) can of soda = 30 minutes of volleyball
- A 1-ounce bag of potato chips (15 chips) = 45 minutes of weight-lifting
We aren’t suggesting banishing these foods from your diet forever, but if you want to indulge a little more sensibly, consider:
- Serving up smaller portions
- Indulging only on occasion
- Increase your calorie burn by getting out there and exercising more often
TELL US: How do you burn those extra calories?
Dana Angelo White, MS, RD, ATC, is a registered dietitian, certified athletic trainer and owner of Dana White Nutrition, Inc., which specializes in culinary and sports nutrition. See Dana’s full bio »
You Might Also Like:
Now is the time many folks start breaking their New Year’s resolutions. At the gym, lines for the elliptical machine are slowly dwindling, while at home, healthy eating habits are beginning to slide. If you’re starting to fall off the wagon, instead of going back to your old habits for the remaining 11 months of the year, brush yourself off and get back on.