Spring Fling: All About Artichokes

by in In Season, May 18, 2011
Giada's Italian Stuffed Artichokes

We’re teaming up with food and garden bloggers to host Spring Fling 2011, a season-long garden party. In coming weeks, we’ll feature favorite garden-to-table recipes and tips to help you enjoy the bounty, whether you’re harvesting your own goodies or buying them fresh from the market. Recently, we dove into the worlds of asparagus and rhubarb — today, we’re tackling artichokes.

I’ll never forget the first time I saw an artichoke plant — it was wild and unexpected. When it comes to cooking, this veggie may also be a bit mysterious to some folks. Artichokes are more user-friendly than you might think. Oh and they’re good for you, too.

When, Where & What
Artichoke season runs from March to June and then again in the fall months. Most of the U.S.-grown artichokes come from California — that’s probably why I rarely see them at my local farmers’ market in Connecticut. Because they take 150 days to grow and require attentive care, artichokes can be a bit pricey; they go for about $2 each at my local grocery store. They’re definitely worth the occasional splurge, though.

An ancient symbol of fertility, artichokes vary in color from dark green to purple. Common varieties include Green Globe and Big Heart. “Jerusalem artichokes,” or sunchokes, are tubers that look similar to ginger root, but don’t be fooled — these guys aren’t artichokes at all; they’re actually a member of the sunflower family.

Nutrition Facts
One steamed artichoke has about 65 calories, no fat and 10 grams of fiber (that meets more than one-third your daily need). They’re rich in vitamin C, folate and potassium and are high in antioxidants. In fact, cooked chokes ranked seventh on the USDA’s top 100 list of antioxidant-filled foods. One particular antioxidant, silymarin (also know as Milk Thistle), is believed to help detoxify the liver.

What To Do With Artichokes
Artichokes have a mild, earthy flavor that’s truly unique. I love that you can dress them up with a fancy stuffing mixture or dress them down by steaming and dipping pieces in olive oil-and-lemon sauce. Most folks are intimated by the trimming part. Once you learn that, you’re all set. You can clean it two ways: trim just the rough leaf tips and steam the whole artichoke, or take off all the rough edges to reveal the tender heart — here’s a great step-by-step guide from Food Network Magazine to master the technique.

Lead
Get Food Network Magazine's step-by-step tips for cleaning an artichoke.

When artichokes are out of season or you don’t have time to prep them, go for canned (in water) or frozen artichoke hearts. You can roast or sautée tender artichoke hearts quickly. I add them to pasta, salads, dips and homemade pizza with lots of oregano. Last night, I made a quick quinoa side dish with sautéed asparagus, artichoke hearts, corn, basil and pine nuts. It was easy and absolutely delicious!

Shopping Tip: Choose artichokes that are brightly colored and firm and have tightly packed leaves. Store them in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.

Dana Angelo White, MS, RD, ATC, is a registered dietitian, certified athletic trainer and owner of Dana White Nutrition, Inc., which specializes in culinary and sports nutrition. See Dana’s full bio »

Recipes To Try:

More Artichoke Recipes From Friends and Family

Three Cheers For the Healthiest Berry Desserts

Independence Day may be over, but the summer berry season is just hitting its stride. If your kitchen is bursting with all kinds of juicy gems, here’s a collection of red and blue berry desserts fit for any summer celebration. Raspberries Super-high in fiber (one cup provides more than 30 percent of the daily recommendedRead more

1. Kole Lemings says:

With havin so much content and articles do you ever run into any issues of plagorism or copyright violation? My blog has a lot of exclusive content I’ve either created myself or outsourced but it looks like a lot of it is popping it up all over the internet without my authorization. Do you know any ways to help reduce content from being ripped off? I’d really appreciate it.

2. Luis Gernatt says:

My wife and i were glad when John could round up his survey through your ideas he got using your web page. It’s not at all simplistic just to be giving for free things that many other people could have been selling. And we all already know we now have the writer to give thanks to because of that. The most important explanations you made, the straightforward blog menu, the friendships you assist to promote – it’s got most unbelievable, and it is leading our son in addition to us reason why the theme is brilliant, and that’s seriously fundamental. Thanks for everything!

3. I consider this is one of the most well-connected info for me. And i am keen reading your article. But stand in want to take notice on some general things, The web situation mode is marked, the articles is really excellent : D. Permissible trade, cheers

4. kliknij says:

Winsome section of content. I solely stumbled upon your situation and in accession capital to assert that I purchase in event enjoyed account your blog posts. Anyway I when one pleases be subscribing to your augment and serene I deed you access devotedly quickly.

5. Oh my goodness! Impressive article dude! Thanks, However I am experiencing difficulties with your RSS.
    I don’t know the reason why I cannot join it. Is there anybody else having similar RSS problems? Anyone who knows the answer will you kindly respond? Thanks!!

6. Genna Ledlow says:

I might like to retire in the English countryside

7. Hi! Where did you download design of this website? It is amazing :D

8. KibOblips says:

Teaching is all often the rage these days. We don’t have supervisors in our organizations anymore, we certainly have instructors. [url=http://www.coachlinkjp.com/]コーチ アウトレット[/url],I was already muscling in the way of coaching prior to demographic research showed the younger ages don’t want bosses and managers, they demand coaches and also mentors. For anyone who is capable regarding leading or establishing other people within your corporation, [url=http://www.katespadesite.com/]ケイトスペード 財布 新作[/url],developing coaching skills may be one of your own greatest materials.

The technique of instruction has leave the actual sports area. We form of have got a view of coaching being care-free process exactly where everyone ought to be having a lot of enjoyable, although it’s not always the truth.[url=http://www.oakleyautoretto.com/]オークリー ゴルフ[/url], As i do coaching workshops My goal is to often get started them by questioning the questions from other sports experience, “What the great mentor? very well “What really makes a bad mentor? ” Seeing that people list over attributes it might be really apparent that the thing that makes bad and good instructors in the athletics arena is true inside place of work.

Good coaches consider skill and also team development and so they receive teaching to help these groups with this particular. Why should our anticipation and support regarding coaches at the job be any kind of different? Nevertheless coaching at work may, and does, fail. [url=http://www.seebychloejap.com/]シーバイクロエ バッグ[/url],When it falls flat, it will always be for starters of two reasons: often the coaching would not adhere to sound training process and/or the actual coach didn’t take responsibility for their part in achieving outcomes.

9. beast 123 says:

I am always thought about this, regards for putting up.