9 More “Healthy” Foods To Skip

by in Healthy Tips, April 26, 2011
Yogurt with added fiber? Not as good as the real sources.

We’re saying “healthy” because there’s a lot more to making nutritious choices than meets the eye. Lots of foods present themselves as healthy when they’re anything but. On the other hand, eating too much of some good-for-you foods can get you into trouble, too. We started off with an original list of 9, but there are plenty more foods to watch out for.

Whole-Grain Bagels
It’s still a high-calorie bagel, even if it’s made with whole-grain ingredients. Plus, some bagels advertise “whole grain,” but are only made with a small fraction of whole-grain flour, so they’re lacking the healthy nutrients whole grains are known for. A whole-wheat bagel on occasion is fine, but if you’re watching those calories you’re better off with a slice of bread – you’ll save more than 300 calories!

High Fiber Yogurt
Yogurt doesn’t naturally contain fiber, no matter what the clever commercials say. Companies add synthetic versions that up the fiber count and these imposters don’t have the same health benefits as the good old real stuff. Get the facts on fiber and learn how to spot more of the faux varieties — buyer beware!

Drinks With “Servings of Fruits and Vegetables”
When it comes to food, if it sounds too good to be true, it is! While slurping your produce may sound like a good idea, you’ll be missing out on important nutrients like fiber and numerous vitamins.  To make matter worse, these beverages are often loaded with added sugars, jacking up the calorie count. Opt for a small portion of 100 percent fruit juice for the occasional sip, but real fruits and veggies are the way to eat your daily dose.  10 ways to add more vegetables to your diet >>

Frozen Diet Entrees
While you are promised a wholesome meal in a microwave-ready tray (doesn’t that just seem sketchy already?), you’re usually getting vastly processed ingredients and an excessive amount of sodium. Check the laundry list of unpronounceable ingredients – it’s about as far from wholesome as you can get.

Breakfast Cereals Labeled “Whole-Grain”
Even sugary kids cereals come plastered with seals of approval and check marks proclaiming they are made with whole grains. Most of them average less than one gram of fiber and 3 teaspoons of added sugar per cup — and who eats just a cup?! Check out our picks for the best cereals options and always read the side panels on boxes for the real nutrient facts.

Fat-Free Cheese
Fat-free versions of cheeses like American, cheddar and mozzarella contain more chemicals and stabilizers than cheese – not exactly a healthier option. They also contain double the sodium to make up for the lack of flavor. Stick to low-fat and part-skim cheeses or smaller portions of flavorful full-fat cheese to get all the flavor while keeping the calories and fat in check.

Snack Mixes
We’ve given you tips to make your own trail mix. Keep ingredients simple and portions modest and you can’t go wrong. Problem is, many of the pre-made mixes come chocked full of high calorie ingredients like yogurt-covered this, chocolate-dipped that, and fried bits of who knows what?!  Keep your eye on those ingredient lists to make the smartest choice.

Baked & Fat Free Chips
Baked chips certainly sound better for you. While they are lower in fat, they have more sodium, sugar, and almost as many calories as the regular version. The fat free types may be even worse thanks to the indigestible additive Olestra. We did manage to find some decent baked varieties in our recent taste test – see how your favorite fared.

Chicken Sausage
Chicken seems like the obvious choice over pork and beef sausages, but the lower fat content of chicken means that sausages need lots of extras like sodium and sugar to compete in the flavor department. Pay close attention to the ingredients; ones marked “fully cooked” tend to be the worst offenders. Fresh (raw) chicken sausages take longer to cook, but the improved nutrition facts are well worth it.

TELL US: What “healthy” foods are you suspicious of?

Dana Angelo White, MS, RD, ATC, is a registered dietitian, certified athletic trainer and owner of Dana White Nutrition, Inc., which specializes in culinary and sports nutrition. See Dana’s full bio »

You Might Also Like:

6 Healthy Eating Apps That Are Worth a Download

There are so many health and fitness apps it can make hard to determine which ones are worthwhile. Here are 8 healthy food apps that you’ll actually use regularly.

1. Crystal says:

Thank you for researching and letting us know what we are really getting in some of these "healthy" convienent foods.

2. stayinhealthy says:

not all that counts, you can be thin and unhealthy! skinny people get cancer and other diseases too

3. Kathryn says:

I couldn't get my mom to eat her vegetables (quite the role reversal, eh?) until I started juicing for her. It's a great way to play with your food and you don't lose as many of the nutrients. You can add things that are otherwise hard to get into a yummy diet (like Kale in my opinion) and you can play with different combinations to make it taste delicious. I always feel like a little kid playing in the kitchen when I juice. lots of fun!

4. sarah says:

I think these are great because four years ago I bought into most of that "whole grain" as advertiding nonsense. I was also 53lbs heavier. I am still learning the best ways to eat for me and my family. Now I am a wellness coach and help other people lose weight and eat healthy. Food, real food has become my passion.

5. ElizabethGray says:

Hi Norma,
    For some healthier frozen meal options, check out our previous review of the highs and lows.

6. Sharon Utterback says:

All I know is the way my grandparents ate, has come full circle from being really bad for you and now it is healthy again. During their time there was no processed foods. My belief is smaller prtions and more water before eating and more exercise for what you eat. So if you want a quarter pounder with fresh tomatoes and lettece go for it but pan fry it and soak up the grease then be sure to exercise by walking around the block before bed.

7. RJV says:

I agree with you. The weight loss makes up for a lot of health problems that have been "solved" for me, like better movement with less pain, lower cholesterol without medication, self esteem. I like those meals a couple times a week. I say they are fine!

8. stephanie says:

You might find that when you start buying fresh fruits/vegetables and foods, you eliminate all the junk and therefore spend less money. Before I started this I spent more moeny on processed boxed foods trying to make sure I had lots of options so i wouldn't get tired of my "diet". It becomes more interesting to make fresh foods into great meals and even with the kids. the more I talk to my kids and let them "help" me make meals with vegetables the more likely they are to eat and enjoy it. Just a thought:)

9. nikomediz says:

The “healthy” food I'm suspicious of is Tofu. Is it really "healthy"? Does the soy in Tofu mess with the hormone balance in women? is this true or fiction? I hear its a processed healthy option. Anything process should not be considered healthy, right?

10. laura says:

Thank you! Great information. Few Questions –
    1- is cellouse fiber in bread really wood pulp or sawdust, as I've heard?
    2- is Canola oil unsafe because rapeseed is toxic?
    3- are Tofu and Tempeh safe – thyroid, estrogen, alzheimers problems?
    4- why are European countries suspicious of GMF but in America we say they are safe?