Asparagus 5 Ways

by in 1 Food, 5 Ways, Healthy Recipes, April 20, 2011

asparagus

We’re teaming up with food and garden bloggers to host Spring Fling 2011, a season-long garden party. In coming weeks, we’ll feature favorite garden-to-table recipes and tips to help you enjoy the bounty, whether you’re harvesting your own goodies or buying them fresh from the market.

Spring is in the air, which means it’s time for fresh asparagus.  This green veggie is packed with energy boosting B-vitamins and a boatload of other nutrients like fiber, vitamin C, beta-carotene and iron. Here are 5 ways to cook it up.

Stir-Fry
Cook up a quick and easy stir-fry and don’t forget to add the asparagus for some extra crunch.
RECIPE: Asparagus and Chicken Stir-Fry

Frittata
Asparagus is delicious any time of day! Add to an omelet or frittata and combine with tomatoes, peas and mozzarella cheese.
RECIPE: Asparagus and Fresh Pea Frittata with Tomato Basil Concasse

Bundled
These masterpiece appetizers contain 114 calories per serving (6 spears) and take 12 minutes. What an easy way to please your guests!
RECIPE: Smoked Turkey-Wrapped Asparagus

Salad
Asparagus can be added to a variety spring salads but this healthy Paula Deen combo of corn, asparagus, onions and basil is one of our favorites.
RECIPE: Corn and Asparagus Salad

Risotto
Cook up a batch of spring vegetable risotto for a light weeknight dinner.  Lightly sprinkle the Parmesan cheese to keep calories and fat under control.
RECIPE: Garden Risotto

TELL US: What’s your favorite way to enjoy asparagus?

Toby Amidor, MS, RD, CDN, is a registered dietitian and consultant who specializes in food safety and culinary nutrition. See Toby’s full bio »

You Might Also Like:

More Asparagus Recipes From Friends and Family:

7 Salads That Know How to Celebrate Summer Fruit

Sweet strawberries. Juicy peaches. Luscious mango. If you’re looking for ways to upgrade a salad, fruits in their prime are an excellent place to start. Figs: Fig, Bacon and Frisee Salad Sweet figs are at hitting their stride right about now — and are the perfect complement to bitter greens, bacon and black pepper in thisRead more

Comments (2,955)

1. Asparagus Risotto is one of my favorite dishes! Happy Spring Fling!

2. I am a gluten free chef, and my favorite Asparagus recipee is steamed with fresh lemon zest and half a lemon juice with fresh rosemary – SO good. Add some butter when you steam for more calories… but its worth it, http://WWW.allnaturalglutenfree.com If anyone needs a personal chef?

3. Dawn says:

We *heart* asparagus over at Wicked Good Dinner. Here’s one of our favorite spring recipes with asparagus:

Looking forward to participating in Spring Fling {and summer, too!!}

4. ritabug30 says:

with quinoa, um!

5. Good day! This post couldn’t be written any better! Reading through this post reminds me of my good old room mate! He always kept talking about this. I will forward this post to him. Pretty sure he will have a good read. Thanks for sharing!

6. Jan Bezio says:

When I saw this website having awesome featured YouTube video tutorials, I decided to watch out these all video lessons.

7. Hi presently there! I’m sure that is kinda away from matter nevertheless I might figured I’d request. Would you be considering buying as well as selling links or perhaps visitor authoring a post or vice-versa? My internet site addresses lots of a comparable subjects as yours and also I imagine we’re able to drastically reap some great benefits of one one more. If you may be interested truly feel cost-free to blast me an electronic mail. I look ahead to listening to from a person! Fantastic weblog over the way!

8. Artsecultura says:

Have you ever considered about including a little bit more than just your articles? I mean, what you say is valuable and all. Nevertheless think about if you added some great images or video clips to give your posts more, “pop”! Your content is excellent but with pics and clips, this website could undeniably be one of the greatest in its field. Great blog!

9. Tracy Scates says:

Wow! It’s a pleasant jQuery script; I was also looking for that, therefore i got it right now from here. Keep it up admin of this site.

10. Ali Kugel says:

How would you do? siblings basically love the charming content thanx along with pls continue