- Comments (5)
Fresh picked celery from the farmers’ market takes the flavor to a whole new level. The secret to true celery bliss is munching on both the stalks and leaves.
It’s a myth that you burn more calories chewing celery than you take in from eating it. But this low-cal veggie is packed with vitamins C and K, potassium and fiber. Think it’s boring? Here are 10 exciting ways to dig in.
- Add crunch to tuna salad, pasta salad or a combo of the two
- Make it the star ingredient in a main course salad
- Use as an aromatic base to homemade soups and stocks
- Fill with natural peanut or almond butter (add raisins for the classic snack “ants on a log”)
- Dip in homemade salad dressing
- Puree with tomato juice for a killer Bloody Mary
- Use finely chopped leaves in place of parsley
- Dunk in hummus
- Use as the secret ingredient in my Taco Salad
- Make pickles
TELL US: How do you use celery?
Dana Angelo White, MS, RD, ATC, is a registered dietitian, certified athletic trainer and owner of Dana White Nutrition, Inc., which specializes in culinary and sports nutrition. See Dana’s full bio »
You Might Also Like:
Bursting with fresh summer sweetness, these lesser-known peaches are worth scooping up if you see them at the market! Also known as a Saturn peach, this pleasantly “smushed” variety is a bit tricky to slice uniformly. But that’s part of what makes the peaches special–they’re a little goofy looking, but the flavor can’t be beat.Read more