Fall Fest: Mini Spinach-Mushroom Quiches by Liz Gray in In Season, September 22, 2010
- Comments (1,375)
We’re teaming up with other food and garden bloggers to host Fall Fest 2010, a season-long garden party. Each week we’ll feature favorite garden-to-table recipes and tips to help you enjoy the bounty, whether you’re harvesting your own goodies or buying them fresh from the market. To join in, check out awaytogarden.com.
So, summer’s officially ending tomorrow, but so what? There’s no reason to be blue. Fall’s got plenty to offer: Winter squash, football games, pick-your-own apple orchards and (finally!) cooler temperatures. Just like my box of sweaters, all the greens I loved in the spring are peeping out again, including Popeye’s favorite: spinach. I’m celebrating the return of this all-purpose green with a batch of individually-sized spinach-mushroom quiches.
Quiche is a quintessential brunch treat, but it can be super-decadent and high-calorie. This lightened-up version is made in muffin tins for easy portion control. It’s crustless, but it still has all the flavorful fillings of the decadent original: bacon, fontina cheese, onion, mushroom and, of course, spinach.
The spinach adds a concentrated punch of flavor, and you can really taste the difference when you use the fresh-from-the-ground (or the farmers’ market) kind. And at only 180 calories for 2 muffin-sized ones, who says you can’t have your quiche and eat it, too?
Get the Recipe: Mini Spinach-Mushroom Quiches
TELL US: What are you cooking with spinach?
More Spinach Recipes With Friends and Family:
- Alison at Food2: Spinach Artichoke Dip
- Michelle at Cooking Channel: Paneer With Spinach
- Kirsten at FN Dish: Spinach Goes Italian With Giada
- Food Network UK: Eggs florentine, brunch of champions
- Todd and Diane at White on Rice Couple: Tuna and Spinach Bruschetta
- Cate at Sweetnicks: Spinach Egg Breakfast Cups
- Caron at San Diego Foodstuff: Mixed Mushroom Ragout with Herb-Polenta Cake
- Marilyn at Simmer Till Done: Spanakopita Scones
- Gilded Fork: Spicy Artichoke Spinach Dip, and a Dossier on Spinach
- Nicole at Pinch My Salt: Spinach and Sausage Soup
- Caroline at the Wright Recipes: Spinach Rotolo, a rolled ricotta and pasta extravaganza
- Alana at Eating from the Ground Up: Spicy Indian Lentil Soup with Spinach