Small Steps: Making Time For Breakfast

by in Healthy Tips, Small Steps, September 13, 2010
English Muffin Breakfast Pizza - Photo Courtesy Food Network Magazine

Is skipping breakfast part of your daily routine? Starting your day running on empty just makes your life tougher and is more stressful for your body. You may feel tired, without knowing why. As we begin Breakfast Week here on Healthy Eats, here are a few ways to help get you in the habit of eating a morning meal every day.

The Benefits

Food is fuel. If you skip breakfast, you’ll end up going around 15 or more hours without refueling. Without properly energizing yourself, you can start feeling sluggish, irritable and your brain won’t function as well. Studies show that kids do better in school when they eat breakfast, and the same goes for adults. The primary source of energy for the brain is glucose (a.k.a. sugar) — so it’s important to get in those whole grains during the morning and get your thinking cap up and running.

The Goal
Don’t like to eat in the morning? This is a common complaint of folks who skip breakfast. As I tell my clients — start slow. Grab some fresh fruit like a banana or apple. It takes your body time to adjust to your new eating schedule so keep at it. Then start adding food so you can start your day with a balanced meal. Some easy breakfast ideas:

TELL US: What do you eat for breakfast?

Toby Amidor, MS, RD, CDN, is a registered dietitian and consultant who specializes in food safety and culinary nutrition. See Toby’s full bio »

You May Also Like:

5 Easy Meals To Fuel After-School Activities

As every parent knows, the season of running from school to countless extracurricular activities is upon us. How best to get everyone fed along the w...

1. Mary Ann Hoover says:

how did you cook the oats in the rice cooker, i have one and never thought of using it to cook oatmeal

• Laura says:

Personally, I'm not familiar with the rice cooker trick, but I use my slow cooker overnight all the time. See Alton Brown's Overnight Oatmeal recipe which I doctor up any way I choose. That way breakfast is ready and waiting when I get up. Leftovers are easily warmed up in the microwave.

• Charlotte says:

I have a cuisinart, and it works the same for oatmeal as rice. Use two cups oats and three cups water, and add nuts, fruit, spices, extracts – whatever you like (oatmeal is pretty much a blank canvas : ) It takes about 30 minutes, which gives me time to drink coffee, wake up and do whatever else needs doing. I sweeten it with maple syrup after serving, and splash a little milk on top.

2. S. Patel says:

What if you are on a low or no carb diet – what would you substitute your bread with?

3. Laura says:

I make overnight oats or chia pudding all the time. No cooking required – you just mix and let it sit in the fridge overnight. Perfect for a quick grab-and-go breakfast.

I also make a ton of smoothies in my magic bullet – you can literally put anything in them (spinach, bananas, avocado, sweet potato, mango… anything!). Add protein powder for a breakfast that will keep you full until noon!

4. @sandytraub says:

Bed and breakfast travelers take time for breakfast, gladly. The opportunity to socialize, share stories, and quiz the innkeeper make breakfast a highlight of the trip. Arriving for a "Three Girls Lost in Savannah" meetup, our North Carolina pal stayed at the charming Green Palm Inn in downtown Savannah, Georgia. The aunt-like innkeeper (Diane McCray) extended a special invitation to breakfast to me and another local pal to join our out-of-town friend staying at the inn. What a surprising treat — fresh seasonal fruit, omelet, fruit juice and southern grits. It was the "visiting", too, that added incentive to take time for breakfast!

5. Sara says:

I sometimes make a frittata with whatever vegetables and cheese I have on hand. I cut it into 4 portions and have one each morning.

6. Anita says:

I alternate between Cheerios with soy milk and Oatmeal with unsweetened applesauce (Quaker Quick Oats-2 minutes in the microwave). I usually add some fruit to both. Breakfast is a must have in my day. I get very cranky without it.