5 Fresh Ideas For School Lunches

by in Back to School, August 31, 2010
Easy, Kid-Friendly Taco Bar Take-to-School Taco Bar

When peanut butter and turkey have you and your kids yawning, here are 5 fresh school lunch ideas to add to the mix.

Pasta
What doesn’t go with pasta? Turn veggies, vinaigrette, and a sprinkle of cheese into a healthy, fun and satisfying lunch.
RECIPE: Rainbows and Butterflies Pasta Salad

Tacos
Create a lunchtime fiesta for your child’s noontime meal. Use cold cuts or leftover chicken with vegetables, salsa or guacamole and the kiddie’s favorite taco toppers.
RECIPE: Take-To-School Taco Bar

Sushi
Turn a Sunday afternoon activity into a fun-filled Monday lunch. Make your own vegetable rolls — it’s easier than you think.
RECIPE: Vegetable Sushi

Pinwheels
Try a new spin on cold cuts: pinwheels! Wrap up lean meats and/or veggies along with cream cheese “glue” to hold it all together. Then, slice into hand-held treats.
RECIPE: Ham Pinwheels

Hummus
Hummus isn’t just for dunking carrot sticks. Try as a thick and creamy sandwich spread – it’s a nice change of pace (and flavor) from mustard and mayo.
RECIPE: Easiest Veggie Sandwich

Dana Angelo White, MS, RD, ATC, is a registered dietitian, certified athletic trainer and owner of Dana White Nutrition, Inc., which specializes in culinary and sports nutrition. See Dana’s full bio »

You Might Also Like:

Kids’ Snacks To Watch Out For

These snacks sound healthy, but are often junk foods in disguise.

1. Blah says:

Sounds great!!!
    What I do is pack soups. It's something different.
    ~"Blah"

2. ShakyBetty says:

Grilled curried chicken and some cucumber spears wrapped in a tortilla. My boys love anything wrapped in a tortilla. They prefer it plain but a bit of plain yogurt, (greek is good since the reduced liquid content keeps it from getting soggy), and a bit of cilantro brightens the whole thing up. Can be made the night ahead. So much the better!

3. christina says:

wish my kids would eat things like this they wouldnt touch eny of these lunchs

4. Christy says:

On a budget, peanut butter and honey on whole grain bread with carrot sticks and a veggie dip is about all they're going to get, right now….lol

5. sivas says:

Hello man do you have new links ? I enjoy article evolve for my friend … ..

6. Superbahis says:

Cool article. It’s about time to find interesting content for a change.

7. Rene says:

With the prices their making sure our familys can't eat healthly. Now I can't even send anything to school that has nuts or made near nuts. What am I to do?

8. bets10 giriş adresi. bets10 üyelik işlemleri, bets10 para yatırma. bets10 para çekme bets10 oranları, bets10 bonusları bets10 go bets10 spor

9. Diann Kost says:

I think this is one of the most significant info for me. And i am glad reading your article. But want to remark on some general things, The web site style is wonderful, the articles is really great : D. Good job, cheers

10. Gavin Derham says:

What’s up dear, me plus my mom are also watch funny video clips except after I finished my homework