Taste Test: Heirloom Tomatoes by Dana Angelo White in Farmers' Market Finds, In Season, Tomatoes, August 17, 2010
- Comments (205)
Juicy tomatoes are at their peak, and that means farmers’ markets are exploding with heirloom varieties. Heirloom tomatoes are special, because cultivators have saved the seeds and passed them down through the generations. They come in a range of sizes, colors and of course, flavors. We tested several varieties for taste and texture. Plus, a quick recipe for heirloom tomato sauce.
Dana Angelo White, MS, RD, ATC, is a registered dietitian, certified athletic trainer and owner of Dana White Nutrition, Inc., which specializes in culinary and sports nutrition. See Dana’s full bio »
More Tomato Coverage:
- Market Watch: Seasonal Tomatoes
- In Season: Tomatoes
- Cooking With Canned Tomatoes
- Tomato Debate: Fresh vs. Cooked?
- Nutrient to Know: Lycopene
- Canned Tomatoes: Good or Bad?
- Healthy How-To: Oven-Dried Tomatoes