Summer Fest: Corn 5 Ways by Toby Amidor in 1 Food, 5 Ways, Healthy Recipes, August 4, 2010
- Comments (99)
Each year, when corn season arrives, I take my kids to the local market to pick up some fresh ears. I love watching my kids gobble down what they picked out — our favorite is eating fresh corn straight off the cob. I could give you an earful (pun intended) of ways to prepare it, but here are 5 of my favorite ways to enjoy this nutritional powerhouse.
We’re teaming up with other food and garden bloggers to host Summer Fest 2010, a season-long garden party. Each week we’ll feature favorite garden-to-table recipes and tips to help you enjoy the bounty, whether you’re harvesting your own goodies or buying them fresh from the market. To join in, check out awaytogarden.com.
Grilled On the Cob
Eating corn on the cob is pretty much an essential rite of summer, but throw yours on the grill with some smoked paprika and you’ll have everyone coming back for seconds (or thirds?).
RECIPE: Smoky Corn on the Cob (pictured)
One of my all-time favorite soups, creamy corn helps warm me up on a rainy afternoon or cool summer night. Cook up a double batch and freeze half for another time.
RECIPE: Creamy Corn and Vegetable Soup
Raw Corn Salad
Peak season corn is sweet enough to eat raw, without the starchiness of off-season cobs. The fresh corn, tomatoes, mozzarella and basil in this salad create a perfect summer side that’s overflowing with vitamins and minerals, and, of course, flavor.
RECIPE: Fresh Corn and Tomato Salad
Looking for a new taco topper? This yummy salsa will do the trick. Salsa also makes a fantastic dip for tortillas or a flavorful topper for omelets (my fave), chicken or fish.
RECIPE: Grilled Corn Salsa
Yes, candied — it’s the side-dish equivalent of caramel corn! Best of all, this sweet-and-savory candied corn takes 10 minutes to prep.
RECIPE: Candied Corn
More Peak-Season Corn Recipes From Friends and Family:
- Nicole at Pinch My Salt: Creamed Corn with Bacon and Rosemary
- Margaret at A Way to Garden: Vintage corn Americana slideshow, and no-frills creamed corn
- The FN Dish: Creamed Corn-Off: Battle of the Southern Cooks
- Alison at Food2: Freezing Corn
- Toby at Healthy Eats: Candied Corn and 4 other recipes
- Michelle at Cooking Channel: Browsing Corn Porn
- Judy/Tuscan Diva: Fried Polenta Crostini with Porcini Ragu
- Jennifer of Gilded Fork: Corn: Sweet Versatility (history, uses & recipes from cocktails to cornbread
- Chef Mark: Gettin’ Corny! (Musings from childhood, tips & fresh-corn recipes)
- Caron of SanDiegoFoodstuff: Chino Corn Risotto with Chanterelles and Burrata
- Caroline at The Wright Recipes: Pickled Corn with Summer Onion and Basil
- White on Rice Couple: BBQ Chicken and Corn Pizza
- Shauna at Gluten Free Girl: a sweet corn risotto (and how to make corn stock with husks and mirepoix)
- Tigress in a Jam: Cream Corn Scones (the perfect way to use up left over roasted or boiled corn):
- Alana at Eating from the Ground Up: Corn on the Kabob (invented by her artist husband):
- Cate O’Malley at Sweetnicks: Corn and Spinach Stuffed Portobello Mushroom Caps
- Kelly at Just a Taste: Caramel Corn (plus pics of corn in its various popping stages)
- Paige Orloff of The Sister Project: Life-Changing Corn Pancakes
- Tara at Tea and Cookies: Farro Corn Salad with Tomatoes and Herbs
- Food Network UK blog: Talking Corn
Toby Amidor, MS, RD, CDN, is a registered dietitian and consultant who specializes in food safety and culinary nutrition. See Toby’s full bio »
You Might Also Like:
Join the conversation on twitter at #summerfood.