Market Watch: Sweet and Sour Cherries

by in Farmers' Market Finds, July 6, 2010

cherries

I’ve been anxiously waiting for them to appear, and they’re finally here! Last week fresh cherries made their debut at my farmers’ market.  Here are some of my favorite ways to enjoy these juicy, nutrient-rich gems.

Soak up all the inflammation-fighting antioxidants known as anthocyanins (cherries are bursting with them). Snack on sweet red and yellow cherries plain or with creamy and tangy Greek yogurt. Simmer them down into jam or use in place of dried cherries in savory sauces for chicken or pork.

Freshly-Washed Cherries
Freshly-Washed Cherries

Bright red sour cherries have more pucker — I bought a pound to make sparkling cherry juice (recipe below) – use 1 tablespoon of the sweet-tart syrup to make a fun (and seasonal) drink for only 85 calories per serving.

Dana's Cherry Soda
Dana's Cherry Soda

Recipes to Try:

Dana Angelo White, MS, RD, ATC, is a registered dietitian, certified athletic trainer and owner of Dana White Nutrition, Inc., which specializes in culinary and sports nutrition. See Dana’s full bio »

You Might Also Like:

Tags:

Market Watch: Green Tiger Zucchini

If zucchini is a seasonal staple in your kitchen, be on the lookout at farmers markets for tiger zucchini, a less common variety. Named for its pale g...

1. don says:

Where in the world did you find sour cherries? I've been looking for some so I could make a real cherry (not almond flavored) pie for years.

• danawhite says:

Hi don –
      Check your local farmers' market, farm stand or better yet, berry farm — those are the only places I've been able to find fresh sour cherries.
      Thanks for your comment.

• Kelli Marsh says:

I am also trying to find sour cherries to make Cherry Bounce which is a Cherry Liquer that is wonderful as an after dinner drink.

2. Karen says:

I don't have the patience or the inclination to use fresh cherries in a recipe; I want to eat them right away as soon as I get them home. :D To me, cherries taste best in their purest raw form anyway. So I guess you could say my favorite cherry recipe is: just wash & eat! :) Yum!

3. safari says:

I’m impressed, I must say. Actually rarely do I encounter a weblog that each educative and entertaining, and let me tell you, you could have hit the nail on the head. Your concept is excellent; the difficulty is something that not enough people are talking intelligently about. I’m very joyful that I stumbled across this in my search for something referring to this.

4. Mary Leitch says:

I also have gout and was told about eating cherries and cherry juice. What was that about the apple cider vinegar mix. What is the mix, I'm willing to try anything?

5. Sandy says:

for gout you have to drink 6 oz tart cherry juice every day, can't ever stop. it works much better than allupirinol every time.

6. Karen says:

Try Kombucha!! Check it out on line.