Healthy Swaps: Smoothies

by in Healthy Tips, July 6, 2010
Smoothies: Good or Bad?
Give Your Smoothie A Makeover

We filled you in on ways to create more figure-friendly salads, and now we’re showing you how to make over another pseudo health food: smoothies. Those ginormous smoothie shop drinks made our list of “Healthy” Foods to Skip, but with the right ingredients, smoothies can definitely be “healthy eats.”

Making your own is a good place to start, but whether you pick them up or whip them up in your own kitchen, use these tips to swap high-calorie components with smarter high-energy ingredients.

Healty-Swaps-Smoothies_gif
Try These Healthy Smoothie Swaps

TELL US: How do you lighten up your smoothies?

Dana Angelo White, MS, RD, ATC, is a registered dietitian, certified athletic trainer and owner of Dana White Nutrition, Inc., which specializes in culinary and sports nutrition. See Dana’s full bio »

You Might Also Like:

Countdown to New Year’s: No-Resolutions Resolution Week 2

If you’re just joining us, it’s not too late to get on board with our No-Resolutions Resolution plan for 2015. We’re grabbing hold of th...

Comments (1,621)

1. Katherine says:

I've been told by my doctor when I was a teenager when I was working out regularly that I had a sodium deficiency…. I am not sure if this new has changed as I've gotten older— but would I have slightly higher sodium needs than the average person is recommended to consume?

Currently I'm about 15lbs overweight and just getting back into the groove of eating smaller portions and exercising…

2. [...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by HealthyEats.com, Colleen Tremont. Colleen Tremont said: 0-cal @Truvia instd of sugar for xtra sweetness! (clnt) RT @healthyeats Check out our tips for lightening up smoothies http://bit.ly/bxTV9F [...]

3. Michelle says:

My go-to morning smoothie contains lots of fresh fruit (usually a variety of berries), fat free vanilla yogurt (I like Stonyfield Farm), OJ and a few pieces of ice! Yum!

4. VICKI says:

SMOOTHIE LOOKS GOOD WILL HAVE TO TRY THEM. TY. VICKI

5. Bebe says:

raw organic baby spinach, frozen Acai concentrate, EnergenC packet, banana, frozen fruit, splash of fruit juice and water, protein powder, wheat germ.

6. jdcmlewis says:

Before I do the basic smoothie, I blend about 7 small baby carrots with the water/juice until very fine, then add the other ingredients. That way I sneak in a vegtable. If it's a big smoothie, I will sneak in some frozen spinach. Surprizingly, you really don't taste them. I always use real frozen fruit and vanilla yogurt.

7. Michelle says:

I use fat free plain yogurt (to cut down on added sugar) then I add organic frozen berries, milled flax seed, organic milk, and a natural sugar substitute. No need to add ice because the berries are already frozen.

8. Kristin says:

Just make sure the frozen berries are organic – berries are typically one of the dirtiest, pesticide-laden fruits!

9. Tawnya says:

a really great way to do smoothies is to freeze your favorite yogurt in ice cube trays and pull out what you want to add, really makes the smoothie thicker and not runny at all and taste great…. give it a try you won't do it any other way

10. Taylor says:

Adding spinach! Can't taste it and gives me some extra veggies.

• Karen says:

We add frozen spinach to our smoothies too! I blend it with the milk, water or yogurt before I add the fruit. Can't taste it at all, but it packs a great nutritional punch.