- Comments (3)
Want to host a cookout without busting a gut for bikini season? Use our tips and lightened-up versions of classic alfresco fare to throw a backyard bash that your guests will love and feel good about.
5 Ways To Keep the Calories Under Control
- Go light on the apps. Pick only two starters so everyone doesn’t fill up — we like chicken wings and chips & salsa.
- Drink responsibly. People tend to drink more when cooking out, especially if it’s hot. Have lots of ice–cold (and calorie-free) sparkling water and pitchers of lemon water at the ready.
- Offer vegetarian options. Try grilled vegetable sandwiches or veggie burgers.
- Serve fewer sides. Just like the apps, pick two favorite side dishes. This way your guests won’t be tempted to try six different things.
- Save room for dessert! Serve small desserts like cookies or cupcakes along with a big fruit salad.
Our made-over versions of picnic favorites are so good, no one will know they’re lightened up.
TELL US: How do you host a healthier cookout?
Dana Angelo White, MS, RD, ATC, is a registered dietitian, certified athletic trainer and owner of Dana White Nutrition, Inc., which specializes in culinary and sports nutrition. See Dana’s full bio »
You Might Also Like:
If you thought yogurt was just a vehicle for fruit and granola, this may rock your world: The cool, creamy stuff is actually incredibly versatile and can be used in everything from sweets to salads. So think beyond the breakfast bowl and go way past the parfait: These innovative ideas will project Greek yogurt intoRead more