Market Watch: Rainbow Chard

by in Farmers' Market Finds, In Season, May 10, 2010

pasta with chard

My CSA box is erupting with gigantic bunches of this leafy green veggie. This variety of Swiss chard has fluffy, tender green leaves and edible stems bursting with color and flavor.

Chard is low in calories and packed with nutrients like potassium, iron and vitamins C and K. Use it anywhere you would used cooked spinach—the flavor is similar, only chard is slightly bitter (in a good way).  And don’t forget those beautiful stems, they just need a few extra minutes of cooking—add them to the pan or pot a few minutes ahead of the leaves.

My top 5 favorite things to do with Swiss chard.

1. Sauté with olive oil, garlic, and a splash of balsamic vinegar
  2. Use sautéed leftovers (see #1) for a pizza topping — my hands-down favorite!
  3. Add to stir-fry
  4. Wilt into tomato sauce and serve over pasta
  5. Add to soup

Recipes to try:
Savory Swiss Chard
Swiss Chard and Potato Enchiladas
Whole Wheat Spaghetti with Swiss Chard and Pecorino Cheese (pictured)

More Reasons to Love Cranberries

These red gems are in season for only a short while. Enjoy them while you can!

1. Tina says:

I make Swiss Chard rolls (like stuffed cabbage rolls) top with bacon and tomato soup then bake. Sounds kinda crazy but the Swiss Chard gives them an amazing flavor. My kids have always loved this meal!!

2. LaWanda says:

I love to saute swiss chard and spinach together,MMm tasty!.I also wilt swiss chard leaves, season chicken breast wrap the chicken in the large swiss chard leaf,cook in a skillet add a bit of chicken broth and cook until chicken is done.works well with fish fillet as well.

3. PhilUSAFRet says:

Don't forget Emeril's swiss chard, potato and chourice soup!

4. Glenn USAFRet says:

Swiss chard, both red and green, has always been an integral part of my SuperSalad: spinach, chard, kale, arugula, and dandelion, a bit of julienne Granny Smith apple, toasted walnuts, and an olive oil, cider vinegar, djjon mustard dressing. Tee-rif.

5. doris says:

Don’t forget Emeril’s swiss chard, potato and chourice soup!

6. comparative says:

Good web site! I truly love how it is easy on my eyes and the data are well written. I’m wondering how I could be notified when a new post has been made. I’ve subscribed to your RSS which must do the trick! Have a nice day!

7. snabb lan says:

Hi, i think that i saw you visited my blog thus i came to “return the favor”.I’m trying to find things to improve my web site!I suppose its ok to use some of your ideas!!