Rhubarb 5 Ways

by in 1 Food, 5 Ways, In Season, April 13, 2010
Rhubarb Crumble Recipe
Spring Rhubarb Crumble - Photo by Con Poulos/Food Network Magazine

I’ve always been fascinated by nutrient-packed rhubarb. It looks like a large piece of red celery, is incredibly tart and is a frequent dessert star.  But don’t limit rhubarb to the sweets table — there are quite a few things to do with this quintessential spring goodie.  If you’ve never experienced this pleasingly sour plant, try it! Here are 5 different ways.

Classic Rhubarb Crumble
Sweet strawberries are a common foil for tart rhubarb, but a hazelnut topping adds sweetness to this springy crumble. A few spoonfuls of this warm, crunchy dessert is all you need.
RECIPE: Rhubarb Crumble (pictured)

Brownies! (Yes, Brownies)
Chocolate and rhubarb – what a fantastically unexpected pair. Cut brownies into small squares for bite-sized portions. This recipe is at the top of my list when I bring rhubarb home from the farmers market!
RECIPE: Mexican Rhubarb Chocolate Chunk Brownies

Vinegar

Leave it to Claire Robinson to come up with such a simple (and low calorie) rhubarb-infused sauce. Drizzle on grilled fish or roasted veggies.
RECIPE: Roasted Asparagus with Rhubarb Vinegar

Chutney
This spicy condiment is sweet, tart and full of bold flavor. Serve it with pork, chicken, shrimp or cheese and some crusty whole grain bread.
RECIPE: Sautéed Pork Chops with Sherry-Berry Pan Gravy

Grown-Up Milkshake
This decadent cocktail is made with sugar, vodka, cognac and ice cream. Keep servings to just one of these babies or save some calories and share with a buddy.
RECIPE: Cool Rhuby Cordial

TELL US: What’s your favorite rhubarb recipe?

Dana Angelo White, MS, RD, ATC, is a registered dietitian, certified athletic trainer and owner of Dana White Nutrition, Inc., which specializes in culinary and sports nutrition. See Dana’s full bio »

You Might Also Like:

Tags:

Three Cheers For the Healthiest Berry Desserts

Independence Day may be over, but the summer berry season is just hitting its stride. If your kitchen is bursting with all kinds of juicy gems, here’s a collection of red and blue berry desserts fit for any summer celebration. Raspberries Super-high in fiber (one cup provides more than 30 percent of the daily recommendedRead more

1. cheryl says:

COULD I ALSO HAVE A COPY OF THE RHUBARB BREAD? THANKS AHEAD TO YOU

2. Paula says:

I stew rhubard with a little sugar..freeze much to use throughout the year. it is excellent with fat free cottage cheese! My favorite healthy snack! YUM- think I'll go have some right now. =)

3. Olivia says:

Is it hard to grow? What type soil? Watering?? I need to start a patch!

4. April says:

May I have a copy of the rhubarb bread recipe. Living in the south we have limited access to rhubarb. When I do find it, I freeze it or make a preserve. When living in the northeast I was able to grow it, I tried to grow it down south, no luck.

5. mary porter says:

Try raspberries with the rhubarb for another taste treat, either in pies,tarts, or jams. makes a great sauce for crepes.

6. julie says:

could I also have the recipe of rhubarb bread, I love rhubarb and only make the pie, would love other recipes to try. email at jmonaco3@rogers.com

7. doats says:

I've had rhubarb wine before and it was wonderful, but potent; or could it be that I loved it so much that I enjoyed too many glasses of it?

8. Jackay says:

The recipes all sound good! I haven’t had rhubarb for years but planted some this year; we’ll see how it does. Would also like the rhubarb bread recipe if available. I think I have one for the rhubarb custard pie.

9. Jackay says:

10. Nancy says:

To Olivia, it is very easy to grow in the midwest…….check outhttp://www.rhubarbinfo.com.