Dressing Up Day-Old Bread

by in Healthy Recipes, March 17, 2010

Pesto Crostini
There’s nothing better than freshly baked bread, but when it’s preservative-free, fresh bread dries out quickly. The dilemma: You may not use the whole loaf in one day and whatever is left is too good to toss. Get more mileage out of that extra bread with these ideas.

Freeze Now, Enjoy for Weeks
Fresh bread freezes beautifully in an airtight freezer bag for up to three months. To defrost, place pre-cut slices or the loaf right in the toaster or oven to warm. I like to keep sliced whole wheat baguette on hand. For times when I need a last-minute appetizer, I keep a sliced, frozen whole-wheat baguette on hand to make crostini. Drizzle bread rounds with olive oil, salt and pepper and toast in a 350-degree oven until crisp. Serve with dip, hummus, olive tapanade or fresh tomato salsa.

For Sopping Up Goodness
Stale bread will soak up all the flavors you add to it. Infuse dried-out bread with fresh veggies, herbs and a light vinaigrette and you’ve got a great Panzanella salad. Typically, this classic Italian dish features lots of tomatoes and basil. When it’s not tomato season, I use things like black olives, canned artichoke hearts and arugula instead. A bread salad may seem a bit heavy — keep the portions modest and you have a very sensible and healthy meal.

Bread also helps thicken soup. Combine some extra bread with beans, broth and tons of veggies and you get another classic Italian dish, Ribollita.

Create a Salad Topper
Forget about the salty boxed stuff — make fresher and healthier croutons from your extra bread and add to soups and salads. It’s simple: Toss cubed bread with olive oil, salt and pepper. Toast in a skillet or 350-degree oven, turning frequently to toast on all sides. Spice things up by adding dried oregano, chili powder, red pepper flakes or a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese to taste. Homemade croutons keep in an airtight container for up to three days.

Casseroles and Crispy Coatings
One of the easiest things you can do with leftover bread is make breadcrumbs. Use them to coat baked chicken, fish or veggies, make crab cakes or add a crispy topping to casseroles. Place chunks of bread into a food processor fitted with a steel blade and pulse until crumbs are to your liking. For flakier crumbs, use bread that is still slightly chewy or frozen bread that’s brought to room temperature. For lighter and crispy breadcrumbs, toast the bread first. Store breadcrumbs in an airtight container for up to a week.

Tags:

The Many, Many Ways to Go Zucchini Crazy

Ready to get your zucchini on? Here are seven inventive ways to cook it up now. Grilled Zucchini Rolls with Herbs and Cheese Attention, goat cheese fans! Here, the creamy spread, plus parsley and lemon juice, is topped with spinach and basil leaves before being rolled up in slices of grilled zucchini. Zucchini Parmesan CrispsRead more

1. sally says:

I love panzanella. Ina Garten's grilled panzanella recipe (listed above) is the most delicious thing I have ever tasted. I will eat that breakfast, lunch, or dinner. It is so so good! I can't stress how much you should try it. Can't wait for tomato season!!

2. Gerda46 says:

Lets not forget "Bread Pudding" ! Day-old bread makes the best french toast also.

3. Casey says:

I made the mushroom pesto crostini recipe (picture shown on today's post) about 3 weeks ago and although it's not the most appetizing color, it really is delicious and healthy! Another one of Giada's dips that I made last week was her artichoke and bean dip – that was delicious spread on day old bread/crostini!

4. Monamona says:

What great ideas to make use of stale bread. With many of us, once it’s a day old, it’s forgotten but you have brilliant ways to make use of it. The simplest thing I can do from your list is the breadcrumbs to baked chicken. At least, it is a way to save.

5. dress up says:

To my opinion Dressing Up Day-Old Bread is a great way to "upgrade" your cooking abilities. It's an easy recipe that coul;d help any amateur girl become an expert chef. thumbs up for this post!

6. varnay says:

i was dissapointed when I came to this site i really thought you would have a good recipe for bread pudding…

7. martha says:

Day old bread is not the only thing good for making 'BREAD PUDDING". I'm from an older generation and I've used left over Christmas cookies, biscuts, even mixed different types up and it always turns out good.
    Bread Pudding is basically a custard base with your bread and raisins or crasins in it. It depends on the amount you are making. You don't want to put too much bread in it, it will be too dry, just enough to soak up most of the custard base. I put some cinnamon and nutmeg in mine. After its done, its great warm but when you let it cool you can slice it and eat it in your hand.

8. martha says:

I forgot to tell you, if you use cookies omit most of the sugar…it will still be sweet from the cookies.

9. Lawrence says:

Could someone post a good recipe for Bread pudding please, preferably one with no bourbon sauce.

10. MizWasy says:

I forgot — Paula Deen makes bread pudding with day old Krispy Kreme glazed doughnuts cut into chunks.