Potatoes 5 Ways

by in 1 Food, 5 Ways, Healthy Recipes, March 16, 2010

Baked Lemon Fries
Carb-phobes, don’t shy away from potatoes. They’re high in fiber, protein, iron and even vitamin C — and taste yummy, too. Since they’re so easy to work with, we could probably give you 50 healthy recipes, but let’s start with five of our favorite ways to enjoy them.

Baked
Traditional and delicious, baked potatoes are one of the simplest side dishes. Greek yogurt is the secret ingredient for a lighter topping.
RECIPE: Baked Potatoes with Yogurt & Sour Cream

Pureed & Creamy
We offered a bunch of tips for a lighter (but still creamy) potato soup. Our readers had even more terrific ideas, so check out that post’s comments — or just get right to the recipe below.
RECIPE: Vichyssoise with Sour Cream & Chives

Roasted
Who needs fatty, deep-fried potatoes? Sliced and roasted spuds taste much better at a fraction of the calories. We make these in my house at least twice a month. If you can’t find Meyer lemons, regular lemons work just as well.
RECIPE: Baked Meyer Lemon Fries

Smashed
Yukon gold potatoes are extra creamy, so they’re perfect for smashing. Leave the skins on; they add texture and that’s where all the iron and fiber lives.
RECIPE: Smashed Potatoes with Sour Cream & Chives

Rolled
Homemade gnocchi may seem daunting but it’s fairly simple. This basic recipe adds spinach for a festive twist (basil works well, too!).
RECIPE: Green Gnocchi

TELL US: How do you like your potatoes?

5 Alternative Burgers Worth Flipping For

Even if you hold the beef and spring for an alternative protein, you don’t have to sacrifice flavor. Just in time for Labor Day grilling, these ...

1. corkey says:

kathleen that wasn't nice at all… just because everyone is talking about potatoes, doesn't mean they eat them every day and every meal…its very rude to call them a bunch of fatties.. i feel sorry for the people in your life they must really have to live high standards to get you to approve of them.. and if that's the case then i don't need friends like you.. if my friends can't accept me the way i am then they need to look elsewhere for a friend..

2. Gerda46 says:

I personally like my taters boiled and salted with a little butter or margarine. Now that's heaven!

3. I like mine baked with some EVOO and salt & pepper. But they are so versatile, it's hard not to like them :)

4. Anne says:

Avoid adding calories: Spray sliced potato with Non-stick cooking spray…olive or butter flavor… add sea salt, powered garlic, and Mrs Dash or chicken or steak seasoning… bake or grill! Delightful! Half a medium potato is lots to eat!

5. kathy4851 says:

I use cottage cheese on my baked potatoes & mush it into mashed potatoes too!

6. Rebecca says:

Greek yogurt is the way to go. So much better than lite sour cream.

7. Diane says:

I use white truffle on my baked potato. It's delish and heart healthy!

8. guest says:

I like to roast sweet potato fries, also – I also add some chili powder when I am tossing the potatos with the EVOO.

9. Jordan says:

thats not crazy at all! I've done that my whole life. ketchup is good on just about anything.
    you want crazier… try it on popcorn.
    or french fries with applesauce

10. sally says:

KETCHUP ON POPCORN?!?! That sounds so weird, but now I have to try it. *sigh* I love ketchup… My one vice.

11. Gerda46 says:

Let me tell YOU, potatoes are very versatile. They are healthier than most other carbs. My father survived in the 2nd World war because of potatoes. He recovered quicker after his appendix surgery because my mother smuggled potato soup (homemade) to him. You've got your nerve calling people "FATTIES"! Since you apparently HATE potatoes; don't spoil them for the rest of those who do!

12. Gerda46 says:

Try using any flavor of pasta sauce instead. Kids like the cheesy sauce more. The chunky style pasta sauce is marvelous.

13. Mamaw07 says:

Salsa on baked potatoes is my favorite! I eat lots and lots of salsa and I call it a meal!