Potato Soup, Lightened Up

by in Meal Makeovers, March 2, 2010

soup

A cool-weather staple, creamy potato soup can have anywhere from 300 to 500 calories and 35 grams of fat per serving! Our lightened-up versions taste just as good as the cream-laden recipes and, since the main ingredients are potatoes, won’t bust your budget.

Creamy Dreamy
Thanks to the starch content, potatoes make a creamy soup all by themselves. All you have to do is combine sautéed vegetables and diced potatoes with chicken or vegetable broth. Cook until the potatoes are tender and puree the mix using a blender or food mill. For a deeper flavor, try roasting the potatoes first.

A typical potato soup recipe made with heavy cream has 10 times more fat than one using with whole milk, so make the switch! Or, for a calorie-controlled bit of richness, swap out cream for extra broth or water and top individual portions with a small dollop of sour cream or crème fraiche.

Bulk Up, Stay Slim
Save money, time and calories by using these pointers:

• Buy bags of potatoes when they’re on sale — store them in a cool, dry place for two to three months.
  • Make a meal out of a broth soup by adding chunks of potatoes like in this Rhode Island Clam Chowder.
  • Make large batches of soup, pack it in quart containers and store them in the freezer.
  • Keep calories under control by using lots of sautéed veggies such as celery, carrots, leeks and onions.
  • Swap out classic toppers — bacon and cheese — with whole wheat croutons and chives.

How to Build a Better Chicken Pot Pie

Order this classic dish at a restaurant and you’re in for a 900-calorie meal (that’s without appetizers or dessert!). Opt for frozen and you won’t do much better at around 700 calories a pop. For both options, fat ranges from 40 to 60 grams and sodium can double the recommended daily amount. Instead, cozy up to a homemade version Healthy Eats style.

1. julo says:

I've also found pureed roasted cauliflower is a good substitute for cream in some soup recipes, like tomato soup. It gives a nice creamy texture and light flavor without overpowering the main ingredients. I think I need to try roasting some cauliflower and potatoes together and making a chowdery soup soon!

2. nurse says:

can you give the calorie amount for all your healthy soups

3. bryan says:

so where's the recipe?

4. claudia says:

can not find the recipe either

5. cari says:

Where is the recipe for the lightened up potato soup?

6. Paige says:

I cant find recipe…tried to go to the end of article…I must be blind…

7. carol says:

I used been for the cream I put all together and them pure, I love the testure and the flavor. And no one notice.

8. Dennis says:

It is my understanding that microwaving food, kills all the nutritional value! Why would you mirowave anything you would put into your body?

• Connie says:

What are you talking about? If this were true, the FDA would have issued a warning, and all of us that cook food in the microwave would be dead from malnutrition.

9. Katyjean says:

Well, I skip the cream bit altogether-I use just a small amount (1/4 c.) of 2% milk at the very end of cooking. What I do is at a tbsp. of 'butter' at the end with the milk. But I cook my soup in chicken broth with celery, carrots, fennel (can use seed), celery leaf, onion, garlic, parsley, terregon, white pepper, black pepper, and little salt. And olive oil. If I want to be bad I will add country ham. You will be amazed how good this soup is. I have left chunks of potato in my soup-thats just personal preference. It's 'slow' cooked-about an 1 1/2hrs. So worth it!

10. Marianna Chryst says:

When I make cream soups I use 1 tbs of non fat cream cheese at the end and use my my hand blender to cream . You never know the difference.