Spotlight Recipe: Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins

by in Healthy Recipes, February 18, 2010

Banana Chocolate Chip Muffin
Everyone who tries these chocolate chip muffins asks for the recipe. I’ve made them for everything from brunch to dessert. They’re easy to make and a healthy way to get your chocolate fix.

Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins

1 cup unsweetened soymilk
1 cup unbleached organic all-purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 cup dark chocolate chips

Pre-heat oven to 350°F. Line a muffin pan with paper liners or spray with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.

In a medium saucepan, combine maple syrup, honey, banana, cinnamon, nutmeg, canola oil, apple butter, vanilla and soymilk. Heat over low heat for 2 to 3 minutes; whisk to combine. Set mixture aside to cool for 5 to 10 minutes.

In a large bowl, sift together flours, baking soda and salt. Add banana mixture to dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Make sure batter has cooled, then stir in half of the chocolate chips. Scoop batter into muffin tins, sprinkle additional chocolate chips on top of each muffin.

Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until a toothpick poked into the center comes out clean.

Nutrition Info (1 large muffin):
Calories: 219; Total Fat: 7 grams; Saturated Fat: 2 grams; Carbohydrate: 39 grams; Protein: 3 grams; Fiber: 2.5 grams

Hearty, Healthy Soups and Stews for Fall

When the air starts to turn chilly, there’s nothing quite like a stew simmering on the stove. These recipes not only ladle up comfort, they̵...

1. Audrey says:

These muffins are amazing. I actually changed it a bit. Used 2% milk instead of soy and applesauce instead of apple butter and regular whole wheat flour instead of pastry flour. I didn't cook the wet ingredients and the result was still delicious. I have a delicious banana chocolate chip recipe that I have made for 20 years but this may actually replace it.

2. Blondie says:

How do you print this recipe???????

3. Logan Rines says:

I found your weblog website on google and check several of the early posts. Continue to help keep up the really excellent operate. I just additional up your RSS feed to my MSN News Reader. Seeking forward to reading more from you later on!…

4. Thanks a million and please keep up the rewarding work. Its like you read my mind! You seem to know so much about this, like you wrote the book in it or something. order ipad 2.

5. Dottie says:

Can I use just Wheat Flour, light pancake syrup and cinnamon ??

6. Kim says:

Why does the recipe call for heating the wet ingredients?

7. Thanks for the advice, I have been struggling for quite a while now and hopefully your post has put me back on the right track. I will definately share this with my friends on Facebook! Thanks again.

8. Hello. i juѕt likе that the technique yοu post
    on yοur blog,

9. This is one awesome article.Much thanks again. Fantastic.

10. willwater says:

Hey there! I know this is kinda off topic however , I’d figured I’d ask. Would you be interested in

11. danawhite says:

Hi Casey -
    Applesauce works well too — try to use unsweetened if possible.

12. lena says:

you can use sweetened applesause, of push come to shove, use a apple, chopped up fine. that will enhance the taste and provide the necessary comsistancy to the recipe.

13. danawhite says:

Hi CareY-
    I'm so glad you like the muffins! Bake them for about 15 minutes and then keep an eye on them – they're done when they're puffed, golden, and a toothpick comes out clean from the center.

14. danawhite says:

Hi stephy -
    you can replace the soy milk with an equal amount of skim milk or almond milk – enjoy!

15. Atalie Andressen says:

I found apple butter at the apple barn in Severville, TN you can call at 800-421-4606 or on line at
    http://www.AppleBarnCiderMill.com. It is great on toast or bucuits.

16. Sarah says:

Apple butter should be in most grocery stores. I live in a very small Southern town and I can get it. It's shelved near the apple sauce and canned fruits on a lower shelf. You also can request that your grocer stock it.
    QUESTION: Can the chocolate chips be left out without changing the basic recipe and the way it works? My taste buds just don't "see" them with the apple butter/spiciness (and I LOVE chocolate).

17. Melanie says:

you might be able to get it at Walmart. I know I've bought whole wheat flour there before but that was a couple of years ago.

18. danawhite says:

Hi Sarah -

19. danawhite says:

Hi Sarah – You can leave the chocolate chips out or even replace them with walnuts. BUT. The apple butter provides sweetness and replaces some of the oil (cutting the fat) – it doesn't give the muffins an spicy or apple flavor, so it really works with the chocolate.

20. danawhite says:

Hi sara –
    Try this similar recipe for <ahref="http://blog.healthyeats.com/blog/2009/09/23/market-watch-pick-your-own/#muffins&quot; target="_blank">Pear and Apple Muffins.

21. danawhite says:

Hi sara –
    Try this similar recipe for this is text you want to link

22. helper says:

applebutter is normally in the jelly section

23. Dottie says:

Look in the Jelly/Jam section.