Healthy New Year: 5 Simple Changes You Can Make Today

by in Healthy Tips, December 31, 2009

Whether you’ve gone off track during the holidays or you or someone you love isn’t ready for total life change, you can still make small but smarter choices. Here are five changes that can have a BIG impact on your health and weight. Give one, two or all five a try.

1. Lose the soda and sugary drinks.
Sugary sodas and drinks have lots of empty calories. Drinking two 20-ounce sodas a day adds up to a 300-plus calories a day and whopping 122,000 extra calories a year. Trade it for water and you can drop up to 35 pounds.

2. Switch to low-fat dairy.
Do your heart some good. Low-fat versions of cheese, milk, yogurt and sour cream are just as tasty as the full-fat varieties with less artery-clogging saturated fat. Opting for low-fat yogurt as a snack and putting 1% milk instead of cream in your coffee daily will save you more than 29,000 calories a year — that’s 8 pounds!

3. Bulk up your healthy recipe repertoire.
You won’t eat well if you don’t have inspiring dishes to cook. Get excited about food with new delicious and healthy dishes. Here are some of our collections to get you started:

4. Brown bag it for lunch three days a week.
There’s no way around it — when you eat out, you eat more. Make a commitment to bring your lunch along at least three days a week. You’ll save some serious calories and cash! It just takes a little extra planning – we can help with our lunchbox ideas.

5. Get some exercise (that doesn’t seem like exercise).
There are plenty of things you can do for exercise outside of the gym or yoga studio. If you’re into video games, try the Wii fit, take a walk with a friend (or the dog) a few nights a week or go sledding with the kids on the weekends (weather permitting).

TELL US: What small changes have you made to better your health?

Dipping Into the World of Honey

Honey is one of the regulars in my rotation of natural sweeteners. It’s also traditionally eaten during Rosh Hashanah, to symbolize a sweet Ne...

1. Mark says:

I make a large mug of hot chicken broth for me & my wife when we get home from work. Works wonders.

2. That's fantastic, Charlotte. Congratulations and keep up the great work!

3. Beth says:

Way to go Charlotte! Keep it up…For Life!!

4. doreen says:

But nuts, seeds,a nd beans are some of the best foods on the planet. Please re-think your diet!

5. Lisa says:

My husband can't eat those things either. Although he loves them, he can't have them.

I have started a weight loss challange with my sister in-laws and this is all great info!

6. ETC says:

she probably means she has an intolerance from an underlying health issue preventing her from eating these things….i.e. crohns disease, iritable bowel, diverticulitis, etc.

7. ETC says:

that's great you were smart enough to figure that out yourself that you felt better standing and walking than when sitting and not paying attention to your posture. it will probably help eliminate some headaches as well due to neck and shoulder strain from sitting improperly while at work.

8. guest says:

My mother has had diverticulitis and therefore is not supposed to eat nuts and seeds unless they're ground up. Perhaps Nanaknows could try that as a way to get them into her diet.

9. Roberta says:

Nance, my story is very similar to yours. I have done all of the five suggestions, as well as cutting out meat. Now I would like to include other healthy routines in my life. So far I have started flossing daily, driving no more than 5 miles over the speed limit and smiling more. I try to compliment two people every day and I remember to tell my family members I love them. I pray throughout the day. Does anyone have more suggestions that I can include to make life better/healthier? Thanks.