Katie's Healthy Bites: Potato & Kale Soup

by in Uncategorized, December 27, 2009

Kale Soup
After all the holiday hubbub, there’s nothing more comforting than a simple, winter soup. I love soup all year, but in the winter I just crave it! Better still, soups are a wonderful way to celebrate seasonal flavors and clean out the fridge of leftover ingredients.

When it comes to creating soups, the possibilities are endless. Here is a creamy one that’s as filling as you can get and includes some hearty cool-weather veggies. My friend shared this recipe (originally from a Moosewood Cookbook) after she made it for Thanksgiving. I reworked it a bit and made it my own.

Potato and Kale Soup
8 servings

1 tablespoon olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup yellow onions, finely chopped
1 cup leeks, sliced
1/2 cup celery
1/4 cup white wine
4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
2 cups water
3 cups potatoes, peeled and diced (I kept the skin on; you can see flecks of brown in the sauce)
1 1/2 cups parsnips, sliced
1/2 cup carrots, diced
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons fresh thyme
2 tablespoons fresh oregano
1 teaspoon dried sage
1 cup 1% milk
1 bunch of kale, stems removed and diced
Salt and pepper, to taste

In a large dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Sauté the garlic, onions, leeks, celery and carrots for 5 minutes until softened. Add the wine and cook for another 2 to 3 minutes to reduce. Add the stock, potatoes and parsnips. Simmer for about 20 minutes, partially covered, until the potatoes and parsnips are tender. Use an immersion blender to puree the soup until smooth. Stir in the mustard, herbs and milk.

In a sauté pan, gently wilt the kale with 1 to 2 tablespoons of water. When the kale is tender, add it along with the cooking liquid to the soup. Season with salt and pepper and serve.

Nutrition Info:
Calories: 132; Fat: 2.45 grams; Saturated Fat: .5 grams; Protein: 4.5 grams; Carbohydrates: 23.5 grams; Cholesterol: .85 milligrams; Sodium: 396 milligrams; Fiber: 4.1 milligrams

Tags: , ,

10 Time-Saving Kitchen Hacks

True, time in the kitchen can be relaxing and therapeutic — but that doesn’t mean efficiency is a bad thing. There are lots of shortcuts that make cooking a healthy meal quicker and simpler. Here are ten favorite tricks of the trade. • Pomegranate seeds are like gold — especially if you have to takeRead more

1. Elizabeth says:

I think there might be a mistake here. If there are 396mg of cholesterol, this needs to be reconsidered as a "healthy" meal.

2. Ralph says:

Why can't I separate the recipe from the rest of the web site and print it? Why do I have to print the entire page?

3. carolyn says:

Since I mistakenly thought I was to enter first and last names at the prompt in order to comment,
    I would like my name and comment to be deleted.

4. Herbalife says:

A recipe truly worth trying.

5. Mom of 5 boys says:

Carrots are mentioned in the steps, but not the ingredient list. How many?

This sounds wonderful! Can't wait to try it! :^)

6. Rfox14 says:

How much is a serving for this recipe?? 1c or 1/2 c???

I like knowing the nutrition info so I can keep track but most recipes listed on this site do not clarify the serving amount.

7. Mary says:

My niece made this dish at Christmas time – it was delicious and filling!!

8. Chris says:

Still couldn't get it to print out only the recipe. I love this website, so please work on allowing us to hit the key "print recipe" and get only the recipe.

9. Sarah says:

Highlight the recipe, right click, select COPY. Then open Word (or whatever) and right click to PASTE. Print from there. It's a little work, but less than having to copy it down handwritten.

10. Liz S-F says:

Highlight what you want printed, CTL-P to print, and then choose "Print Selection". It will only print what you highlighted…

11. tamidor says:

Hi Elizabeth,
    Thanks for your comment. It seems there is a type-o in the cholesterol content. It should read about 1 or 2 mg per serving.

12. carolyn carpenter says:

Agreed and carrots were not mentioned in the list of ingredients – only in instructions – ???

13. Yep, that was an inadvertent copy-paste flub. I've corrected the number above for Katie.

14. Taunia says:

Select (highlight) the portion you wish to print and then use the print preview (the arrow to the right of your printer icon) to change printed area to "as selected". This will allow you to print only the recipe.

15. Oops! Thanks for finding that error — it should be "1/2 cup carrots, diced" and I've added it in above.