Spotlight Recipe: Crispy Rice Squares

by in Cookies & Other Desserts, Healthy Holidays, December 5, 2009

Holiday Crispy Rice Squares
My mom and I team up in the kitchen every December to tackle the holiday baking, but this year I’m on my own. Crispy rice cereal squares were the first cookies I ever learned to prepare, and these treats are definitely on my list this year. I love the festive dash of food coloring. You can choose red, green or whatever color says “holidays” to you. Better still, this version is lower in fat than the typical butter-soaked recipe. Because this is an egg-free mixture, there’s no harm in sampling as you go along.

Holiday Crispy Rice Squares
Makes 12 squares

3 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 (10.5 ounces) package marshmallows
Red or green food coloring
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
6 cups puffed rice cereal (such as Rice Krispies)
Canola oil cooking spray
Red and green sanding sugar (optional)

Spray a 9×13-inch pan with cooking spray and set aside. Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat.
Add marshmallows and salt, and stir with a wooden spoon until melted. Stir in red or green food coloring and remove from heat. Gently fold in cereal until well combined.

Transfer mixture to prepared pan and press down to flatten using parchment or wax paper. Allow to cool and cut into squares. Sprinkle with sanding sugar if desired.

Calories: 132
Fat: 3 grams
Saturated Fat: 2 grams
Protein: 1 gram
Carbohydrate: 25 grams
Sodium: 48 milligrams
Cholesterol: 8 milligrams
Fiber: 0 grams

Cookie Monster: Our Favorite Healthy Holiday Cookies

Our holiday cookies are festive and delicious, but also packed with great nutritious ingredients so they're healthy too!...

1. Today I'm experimenting with beet juice for all natural coloring. Any suggestions?

2. Krikri says:

The Crispy rice cereal squares is close to a recipe I know so I take interest. The only difference is the 5th ingredient – rice cereal. But this adds to my collection.

3. alicia says:

my husband loves rice crispy treats! i love the idea of adding food color to make it more festive for the holidays! great idea! :-)

4. Debbie says:

I just made some rice treats last night – wish I'd seen this first. Recently I've been on a mission to remove all high fructose corn syrup from my diet, so I've been reading every label of everything I buy. Turns out Rice Krispies have HFCS! SERIOUSLY?! I was shocked (and highly annoyed), so back on the shelf it went. I found an organic alternative that was made with brown rice and to be honest, you can't tell the difference. Combine that with using Smart Balance butter and I was at least satisfied with a healthier version of one of my fav treats. :)

5. Mary K. Cooper says:

just read your comments and went on Amazon to check it out, sounds great. we all need to watch what we put in our mouths…….thanks

6. alicia says:

what was the name of the alternative cereal you found, if you don't mind me asking? great idea debbie!

7. Debbie says:

Alicia, the cereal was Erewhon Organic Crispy Brown Rice Cereal. Not sure if your market has it or not but here it is on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Erewhon-Crispy-Cereal-Organ