Spotlight Recipe: Holiday Sugar Cookies

by in Cookies & Other Desserts, Healthy Holidays, December 3, 2009

hanukkah sugar cookies
When everyone thinks holiday cookies, they automatically assume Christmas, but Hanukkah can have its own special sweets, too. This year, I’m hosting friends and family for three evenings of candle lighting and desserts. Our spread will include these Star of David-shaped sugar cookies, which my family and I pep up with festive blue sprinkles; you can create any holiday theme by using your favorite cookie cutters and icing colors. These are chewy, not crunchy — perfect for the younger kids in the family.

Hanukkah Sugar Cookies
Makes about 4 1/2 dozen cookies

4 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup canola oil
1/2 cup orange juice
2 large eggs, beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons sprinkles

In a medium bowl, sift together flour, sugar and baking powder. In a separate large bowl, combine oil, orange juice, eggs and vanilla using an electric mixer on low speed. Gradually add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients until dough forms and pulls away from the edge of the bowl. Cover and place dough in the refrigerator for 1 to 2 hours.

Pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Spray 2 to 3 baking sheets with non-stick cooking spray. Roll out dough to 1/4-inch thickness, cut to desired shapes and place an inch apart on cooking sheet. Top with sprinkles. Roll out the extra dough and repeat process until all cookies have been formed.

Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until edges are brown. Let cool for 10 minutes.

Nutrition Information (per cookie):
Calories: 71
Total Fat: 3.5 grams
Saturated Fat: 0 grams
Total Carbohydrates: 9.5 grams
Protein:  1 gram
Sodium: 13 grams
Cholesterol: 8 grams
Fiber: 1 gram

Gluten-Free Thanksgiving Desserts (Delicious Too!)

With fall produce like pumpkin, apples and pears on hand, it's possible to say the words "healthy" and "dessert" in the same sentence this Thanksgivin...

1. Food Makes Fun Fuel says:

If you've really healthified sugar cookies you are a godsend! Thank you!

2. RWs says:

This is hardly "healthy"!!

3. custom desk says:

This is definitely a spotlight recipe! If I probably eat this, I won't regret! Not that too much guilt for ruining my diet.

4. Krikri says:

Thanks for this kid friendly cookie. Its pleasing that the meals have taken into consideration the needs of the little ones. That aside, it introduces a new way to use old ingredients. Food is about variety too. It is a relief to break away from the popular , conservative recipes.

5. Jenn says:

I’m not a stick thin model by any means but I do like to stay healthy. When the holidays come around I usually stay in big clothes and hide all the mirrors. After a recommendation from a co-worker, she told me to check out a nutritionist named Rose Cole. I went to her site http://www.RoseCole.com/HolidayCookbook and found some amazing recipes that are great tasting and healthy! I highly recommend you check it.

6. Miss Nutrish says:

The calories are realitively low for a cookie. And the carbs are lower then most cookies you can buy at the store. Plus, the canola oil is way better then butter! They may not have a lot of nutrtion, but everyone needs a little treat around the holidays. I am excited to try this recipe.

7. Marie says:

This looks great! It's pareve (non-dairy) so that's a plus for holiday gatherings! I will have a guest who's highly allergic to dairy, so this is perfect!! I'm diabetic, so I'll be subbing splenda for the sugar too! I'll try this today and see if it's a keeper!! THANK YOU!!

8. Marilyn Ladd says:

Your website needs a print button that allows for only the receipe to be printed. I didn't find one and so I just pressed print. I assumed it would do it right. But, It took up 8 pages, as it gave me all of the ads and everyone's comments. Other receipe websites give you only the receipe when you print. I'll not try to print your receipes anymore.

9. annie says:

I made these for some kids I tutor, one of whom is allergic to dairy. When I took the dough out of the refrigerator, it was very oily. I covered my hands in flour and worked the dough a little before rolling it out. They were easy to cut out and baked perfectly. The taste and texture remind me of scones. The kids iced, decorated, and enjoyed eating them. One of the girls said they tasted like "pioneer cookies." Thanks for providing the recipe.

10. Danielle says:

Great recipe! i'm wondering if it's better to use freshly squeezed orange juice or a store bought one such as Simply Orange? would the consistency change if either was used? the recipe doesn't specify…