Diet 101: Blood Type Diets

by in Diets & Weight Loss, October 16, 2009

blood type diet
Is the secret to weight loss determined by your blood type? If you ask some blood-type diet fans, yes. If you ask us, doubtful. Never heard of this diet craze? Here are the basics.

Premise for the Diet
Diets based on blood type suggest that your type (that is, A, B, AB or O) determines your dietary needs and dictates how your body digests food and burns calories. Advocates associate food selections around ancestry and evolution. For example, ancient man supposedly had type O blood and so folks with this blood type are better off eating animal proteins (since meat was a staple in the diet way back when). Grains and dairy (i.e. more cultivated food) were less common, and therefore type O’ers don’t digest them well. These diets also propose that your blood might mean you’re more prone to particular food allergies, aversions, eating habits and even medical conditions. They often offer advice on what types of physical activity are best for your type types.

What Does Your Blood Type Mean?
The book Eat Right For Your Type, by naturopath Dr. Peter D’Adamo, breaks down the specifics. The main focus of the diet is to eat whole foods (no processed junk allowed), but there are laundry lists of foods that allowed and forbidden. There’s also a painfully long list of the vitamin, mineral and herbal supplement he thinks you need. Here are some of the what-to-eat highlights:

Type O: Lots of animal protein but only small amounts of grains and dairy
Type A: Lots of grains, fruits and vegetables but very limited amounts of meat and dairy
Type B: Most foods in moderation; breads and pastas are limited
Type AB: No wheat, gluten and read meat and only dairy in moderation

Does It Work? Is It Safe?
With this diet, you can forget about enjoying many (or most) of the foods you’re used to eating — especially the junky stuff. By drastically alter your eating habits, there’s a good chance you’ll eat less calories and therefore lose some weight, but this has nothing to do with your blood type. Taking in too few calories is not only bad for your metabolism, but it usually ensures that you will gain the weight back when you revert to your old ways. Cutting out large groups of food puts you at greater risk for serious nutrient deficiencies, and taking on a complicated supplement regimen can be extremely dangerous — especially if you’re on prescription medication.

Bottom Line: A blood-type diet may focus on healthy foods, but overall it is way too complicated and restrictive to be realistic or good for you.

5 Ways to Stick To Your Healthy Eating Resolutions (Remember Those?)

Now is the time many folks start breaking their New Year’s resolutions. At the gym, lines for the elliptical machine are slowly dwindling, while at home, healthy eating habits are beginning to slide. If you’re starting to fall off the wagon, instead of going back to your old habits for the remaining 11 months of the year, brush yourself off and get back on.

1. Guest says:

Wow, this diet sounds amazing! And all the positive feedback! You eat healthier and feel great.

People, it's not about your blood type, it's about eating healthier. I'm AB-, which means that:
    No wheat, gluten and read [sic.] meat and only dairy in moderation

I eat wheat and feel great. Why? BECAUSE I EAT HEALTHY.

Yes, there are food allergies, and sometimes they run in families…it's genetic, NOT blood type.

By the way, AB blood types only come from having 1 parent as A (either AO or AA) or AB and 1 parent as B (BO or BB) or AB OR both being AB.

2. Andrea Nestor says:

When I first read "Eat Right for your Type" I was really ticked off because I wasn't able to eat the things I liked. Unfortunately I found out the book was correct (I'm a blood type A) and I do so much better without dairy or meat. It's veggies, fruit and fish for me. When I eat meat (beef, pork) my hands ache. This is too bad for me because I love a roast beef and roast pork. If I stick to veggies and fish I'm at my best.

For me this book was right on.

3. Carolynn says:

Maybe for some it's not about blood type but I can tell you that I "ATE HEALTHY" (as one poster puts it) for 30 years and still ended up a mess. Eat Right for Your Type gave me back my life and I will never go back!!! I too am better at 54 than I was 10 years ago.

4. Paula says:

I recently went on a strict healthy diet, eliminating wheat and dairy for a few weeks, then adding them back to my diet. After this 'cleansing' and re-introduction of wheat and dairy (separately) back into your diet you learn if they are creating allergic reactions. I felt great with this diet, and was shocked when I re-introduced wheat and it made me miserable with intestional problems. (Diary was not so much of a problem). Now I feel so much better when I eliminate wheat. I didn't even know it was a problem. So reading this article has really sparked my interest in this diet – I'm AB+. I suggest AB- just tries going without wheat for 3 weeks (its hard but worth it) to see how he feels.

5. Mitch Collins says:

The main thing the post is forgetting to mention is your general health! When you don't eat foods that cause allergies or are hard to digest due to your blood type, you end up feeling great and your stomach has less work to do and in exchange you have more energy! More than loosing a lot of pounds or not, you should feel healthy and you do eating this way. I know many people with a few extra pounds that are very healthy. The ultimate goal of any diet should be to have your body functioning at optimum levels.

Read the book and you'll discover many things that your body has been trying to tell you for years. Like "Please, don't give me milk!" or "Wow, get far away from me when I eat chicken!" Or, " Gosh, my eczema is gone since I quit wheat, hmm?"

I'd follow this way of eating if I were you. Cheers

6. Mia says:

Funny how the article written (by an educated professional) tries to persuade us from following the Blood Type Diet – yet after reading all the comments (from people with who knows what background), most of you are willing to go ahead and try it!

7. kim says:

could someone help me. I know what food I need to eat, I just do not know how much to eat during the day. Do I count calories.

8. im_pinoy says:

This is really the first time I've seen that there is really a BLOOD type diet? .. Another Knowledge I would want to share .. Thanks to you.. It does not only give me knowledge but i could help someone who really wants to lose weight.

9. Shannon says:

Wow! I could not even guess about it)) Not bad.