Spotlight Recipes: Rosh Hashanah Menu

by in Healthy Holidays, Healthy Recipes, September 17, 2009

applesandhoney_lead
Rosh Hashanah marks the start of the Jewish New Year. Along with the classic apples dipped in honey, dress up your dinner table with these fresh dishes, which feature bits of the tradition.

Some folks cook an entire fish (with the head still attached) to celebrate and promote fertility and abundance. In my house, we trade the whole fish for some gefilte fish (ground fish) and serve it with purple horseradish (made with beets).

Your Rosh Hashanah entree is typically a sweet chicken or beef dish, such as this Apple-Glazed Barbecued Chicken, which encourages a sweet year to come. On my table, this main comes with a side of tzimmes, slow cooked carrots flavored with honey, cinnamon and combined with dried fruits like prunes or raisins.

Finish off your meal with a simple, traditional honey cake, which you can complement with holiday fruits such as pomegranate, star fruit and persimmons.

Rosh Hashanah Recipes:

TELL US: What’s on the menu for your Rosh Hashanah dinner?

7 Salads That Know How to Celebrate Summer Fruit

Sweet strawberries. Juicy peaches. Luscious mango. If you’re looking for ways to upgrade a salad, fruits in their prime are an excellent place to start. Figs: Fig, Bacon and Frisee Salad Sweet figs are at hitting their stride right about now — and are the perfect complement to bitter greens, bacon and black pepper in thisRead more

1. marla workman says:

Chopped liver, brisket, matzo ball soup, rugella

2. bonnie says:

chicken soup, cornish hens glazed with sugarfree apricot preserves(mom’s diabetic), garlic mashed potatoes,

3. Marsha says:

Homemade gefilte fish! Yes, there are still some of us who make it from scratch, even though it's an all-day project. Maybe Alton Brown could do an episode of "Good Eats" about making it! LOL!

4. Susan says:

Lemon chicken, egg barley with mushrooms and onions, butternut squash pudding, homemade cranberry sauce and peach cobbler.

5. Pamela says:

I never knew what was served at a Rosh Hashanah dinner or holiday meal (I am not Jewish). The recipes look delicious! And a very Happy New Year to you all!

6. DANGAR777 says:

We had Chicken soup with matzah balls, Challah bread served with honey, Apple slices, Turkey breast, stuffing and corn. Dessert I served honey cake made using my mother's recipe. My mother used to make an appetizer of stuffed cabbage, which I always enjoyed. I missed not having it. I made it last year for the first time using her recipe and it came out great, but forgot to make it this year. Next year in Jerusalem and serving stuffed cabbage:D

7. Linda says:

Stuffed cabbage in a sweet and sour raisin sauce, carrots cooked with honey, a little extra rice ( for the sauce), honey cake made with chocolate chips, raisins, coffee, lots of honey and orange rind. Also made teiglach – plain dough pieces boiled in honey and mixed with some chopped walnuts.

8. Tommy says:

This all sounds incredibly delicious. L'shanah Tovah!

9. There is obviously a lot to know about this. I think you made some good points in Features also.Keep working ,great job!