Ground Beef 5 Ways

by in 1 Food, 5 Ways, September 7, 2009

Stuffed Peppers
Folks may warn you away from red meat, but don’t believe them. Beef can be part of a healthy diet and provide good amounts of iron and protein. The trick is to choose the right recipes, use lean cuts and stick to smart portions. Here are five easy ways to enjoy ground beef guilt-free.

Sloppy Joes
Okay, so Sloppy Joes are an obvious one, but still a beloved classic. Forget the canned stuff (and lose all the extra sugar and salt that comes along with it) and make your own. It’s pretty easy to make your own sweet and sour sauce and mix it in with ground beef and veggies (more fiber). We serve ours up whole grain rolls or over brown rice or quinoa with a fresh garden salad on the side.
RECIPE: Sloppy Joes

Stuffed Peppers
To keep the calories and fat in balance, make ground beef a smaller part of the meal, not the main attraction. With all the peppers in season right now, I’ve been playing with some different versions of this basic stuffed pepper recipe.
RECIPE: Greek-Style Stuffed Peppers

Taco Salad
Ground beef in a salad? Absolutely! All you need is a mix of veggies, beans and a sensible portion of ground meat for this easy weeknight dinner (leftovers make a tasty lunch, too). Beans add fiber and energy-boosting B-vitamins, thiamin and riboflavin. Beef also contains two different B-vitamins (Niacin and B12) that helps with energy and healthy red blood cells. I created an easy recipe that everybody loves.
RECIPE: Dana’s Taco Salad

Mini Burgers
We can’t skip burgers on this list. Get the flavor for less calories and fat by downsizing. These little sliders work as fun finger food for guests or can be a complete meal along with green beans or potato salad.
RECIPE: Mini Memphis Burgers

Bolognese
This thick, flavorful meat-and-veggie sauce goes great with pasta or slices of bread. This recipe, from Food Network’s Giada de Laurentiis, does it right — one pound of meat for six people, not two! I like to serve my Bolognese with small portions of whole grain pasta (about 1.5 cups cooked per person) and a big salad.
RECIPE: Simple Bolognese Recipe

Pomegranate, 5 Ways

Whether you prefer sipping on pomegranate juice or biting into pomegranate seeds, we’ve got 5 fun ways to love this spectacular, nutrient-filled fru...

1. Gerald says:

Ladies I’m on a low-fat, low sodium diet and Boars Head puts out a low sodium ham that really is low sodium & low clostoral. I have the blood work to prove this. switch over to Mrs Dash seasonings and you’ll be fine. we prefer to use table blend in place of salt. Ground turkey brest 99% lean or 96% ground beef is good use your imagination on spices its not all in the printed recipies

2. I use the lean ground turkey as well as grounf beef occasionally. To add some moisture to either one, I'll saute shallots and garlic in a small amount olive or grape seed oil and put it all into the meat I'm using. It helps keep it moist. I've also added a little wine to the onions and shallots which adds flavor to the meat.

3. Heather says:

Another way to make it a little healthier is to add a little cooked bulgar. You cant tell the difference and it gives you extra fiber.

4. Mrs. C says:

I don't trust ground turkey. I feel like I don't know what they are griding up and calling "turkey" but I guess the same can be said for ground beef. We purchase large cuts of meat from Costco (turkey and chicken breast included) and grind the meat ourselves using the Kitchen Aid food grinder attachment for our stand mixer. This way we can monitor the amount of fat but also flavour the meat at the same time. We freeze the ground meat in portions and always have some ready for whatever week-day meal we're cooking. If I do have to purchase ground beef from the grocery store, I always cook it down and drain the fat into our grease can using a large spoon.

5. KSE says:

Bison Meat is learner and more healthy.

6. Pamela says:

We buy whole sirloin tips, have them remove fat and grind it for us . .. Can’t get it much leaner than that. Have the
    pkg it for you or do it yourself.

7. Bev Starr says:

On “Diners,Drive-Ins and Dives” twice I have seen episodes where the cook was preparing a dish with ground beef, and he adds a large amount of water to the beef then mixes it in, then uses the beef to make burgers, etc. Why add water?

8. Sharon says:

Turkey burgers are great if you mix a little bit of hashbrowns in with them. Gives them moisture and holds them together

9. Mike says:

When using leaner meats, try adding a little Worcestershire sauce to the meat – it will add nice flavor and keep the meat juicier to make up for the lesser amount of fat.

As far as turkey vs. beef, ground turkey is not always the answer! As someone mentioned already, ground turkey can contain fattier dark meat and thus is a higher fat version of the ground turkey BREAST meat. Fatty ground turkey can be as low as 80% lean and is very similar to ground beef at this concentration. I never purchase less than 93% lean turkey, and if I'm really looking for a healthy alternative, 99% lean turkey breast is the way to go – if you add it to a sauce, etc. you won't notice the dryness of the meat – just be careful not to overcook it when browning.

Beef gets a bad rap, but it can be a part of a healthy diet if used correctly! And don't be afraid to splurge for a nice, juicy 85% lean beef burger every once in a while! :)

10. folsäure says:

I like stuffed recipes very much. Thanks for sharing different delicious recipes here. I will make one by one. It is nice to visit this recipe site.