Ground Beef 5 Ways

by in 1 Food, 5 Ways, September 7, 2009

Stuffed Peppers
Folks may warn you away from red meat, but don’t believe them. Beef can be part of a healthy diet and provide good amounts of iron and protein. The trick is to choose the right recipes, use lean cuts and stick to smart portions. Here are five easy ways to enjoy ground beef guilt-free.

Sloppy Joes
Okay, so Sloppy Joes are an obvious one, but still a beloved classic. Forget the canned stuff (and lose all the extra sugar and salt that comes along with it) and make your own. It’s pretty easy to make your own sweet and sour sauce and mix it in with ground beef and veggies (more fiber). We serve ours up whole grain rolls or over brown rice or quinoa with a fresh garden salad on the side.
RECIPE: Sloppy Joes

Stuffed Peppers
To keep the calories and fat in balance, make ground beef a smaller part of the meal, not the main attraction. With all the peppers in season right now, I’ve been playing with some different versions of this basic stuffed pepper recipe.
RECIPE: Greek-Style Stuffed Peppers

Taco Salad
Ground beef in a salad? Absolutely! All you need is a mix of veggies, beans and a sensible portion of ground meat for this easy weeknight dinner (leftovers make a tasty lunch, too). Beans add fiber and energy-boosting B-vitamins, thiamin and riboflavin. Beef also contains two different B-vitamins (Niacin and B12) that helps with energy and healthy red blood cells. I created an easy recipe that everybody loves.
RECIPE: Dana’s Taco Salad

Mini Burgers
We can’t skip burgers on this list. Get the flavor for less calories and fat by downsizing. These little sliders work as fun finger food for guests or can be a complete meal along with green beans or potato salad.
RECIPE: Mini Memphis Burgers

Bolognese
This thick, flavorful meat-and-veggie sauce goes great with pasta or slices of bread. This recipe, from Food Network’s Giada de Laurentiis, does it right — one pound of meat for six people, not two! I like to serve my Bolognese with small portions of whole grain pasta (about 1.5 cups cooked per person) and a big salad.
RECIPE: Simple Bolognese Recipe

Pomegranate, 5 Ways

Whether you prefer sipping on pomegranate juice or biting into pomegranate seeds, we’ve got 5 fun ways to love this spectacular, nutrient-filled fru...

1. joand says:

No matter what percentage of fat in ground beef, I always put the meat into a strainer after I brown it. It's amazing how much fat drains off.

2. Tommy says:

I've been buying 95% lean ground beef lately and cooking a burger or two under the broiler and I was quite surprised that there was almost nothing in the bottom of the pan after a thorough cooking. Very tasty and a great source of protein.

3. Great website. Lots of helpful information here. I?m sending it to a few pals ans also sharing in delicious. And naturally, thanks to your sweat! nandroid backup download

4. Hi mу friеnd! Ι wish to say that thіѕ poѕt is
    amаzіng, great written and іncluԁe almost
    all vital infoѕ. I want tο see more posts for instance this .

5. Hi, I discovered your web site after i was hunting Bling for internet sites connected to this articles. I wished to tell you, your website is nice. I such as the design way too, its nice. I haven’t got time now to fully read through your internet site but I’ve bookmarked it and i also signed up on your RSS feed. I will be back again in the day or two. Many thanks to get a fantastic internet site.

6. Thank you, I have recently been looking for info about this topic for a long time and yours is the greatest I have discovered till now. However, what in regards to the bottom line? Are you positive in regards to the source?

7. Dee Dee says:

be careful to read the turkey packaging, you may very well be surprised the amount of skin used in some, making it just if not more fatty so than very lean ground beef!

8. Becca says:

I didn't know that "ground turkey " is much higher in fat and calories???? Is it really?? I would think that the ground beef would be higher in fat and calories. Right?? or not? Thanks for someone to set it straight for me.

9. Joanna says:

If you read the ingreints on turkey and chicken products you may change your mind and use more beef.

10. Helen says:

It really doesn't have to do so much with the source of the meat, its the amount of saturated fat that causes heart problems. If you're buying quality ground turkey it is NOT going to have the fat content of beef. That's just silly.

11. Katie says:

Is it lean ground turkey? Watch your fat content on some ground turkey! It can be just as high as beef!

12. rebecca says:

shouldnt matter i use both in some recipes it one will taste better than the other but i use a lot of turkey for like tacos and other recipes even make it on pizzas as a diffrent fix instead of burger .

13. Alison says:

Hey Becca it depends on the type of "ground turkey"…if it's ground turkey breast, than yes it would be lower in fat & calories. However most ground turkey products that do not specify on the label that it is made from breast meat are usually full of the turkey parts that are very fatty, including the skin. This type of ground turkey is usually higher in fat and calories than very lean ground beef. Just be sure to read the labels so you know exactly what you're getting.

14. roxanne says:

if you read the ingredients on most of the products you buy at the grocery store you will probably change your mind on a lot of things. beef has higher bad saturated fats there fore causeing your arteries to clog more quickly leading to much more damaging affects on your body.

15. Garry says:

Sounds interesting. Can you add the recipe to a post?

16. jeff says:

Susan,

In your husband's case I would go light on beef, maybe 95% lean when you do have it. Salmon and tilapia might be better choices for a low cholesterol diet. Something else he might try is a dose of metamucil (psyllium fiber, ground) in the morning and night. Adding whole grains is great but psyllium really soaks up cholesterol. I would make that change before anything else.

-Jeff