Market Watch: Peppers (& A Cheesy Flatbread)

by in Farmers' Market Finds, Healthy Recipes, August 20, 2009

pepperflatbread_lead
Did you know that one bell pepper has more vitamin C than an orange? I picked up five pepper varieties from the farmers’ market this week and transformed them into a yummy flatbread. Pepper season is just starting — I can’t wait to see what else comes along.

More About Peppers
You can find classic round bell peppers in all shapes, sizes and colors. My farmers’ market had some green and purple ones; sweeter orange and red peppers aren’t ready yet. As for the classic red and yellow peppers, they are actually more mature green bell peppers that farmers leave on the plants longer.

I also found some elongated “sweet banana” and “cubanelle” frying peppers; they’re crisper and less sweet than the rounder ones. Last but not least, there were jalapenos – so crunchy and fiery! These little babies add a subtle kick to any recipe. Just remove the inner seeds and ribs if you want to dial down the heat.

I usually add my pepper medley to scrambled eggs, salads, pizzas or quiches. I also love to stuff and bake peppers with sautéed veggies and quinoa or just leave them raw and dip into homemade hummus.

And don’t forget about roasting — it’s easy and tastes better than jarred ones every time. For something a little different, try making my flatbread, which you can pair with salad for a quick dinner.

Flatbreads with Chicken Sausage & Peppers
Serves 2

2 pieces whole-wheat flatbread (such as naan bread or pita)
1 teaspoon olive oil
3 ounces chicken sausage, crumbled (casing removed)
1/2 yellow onion, thinly sliced
1/2 jalapeno pepper, finely chopped
1 cup sliced mushrooms
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup sliced peppers
1/2 teaspoon fresh chopped thyme
1/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella
1 slice provolone cheese, torn into small pieces

Preheat oven to 400ºF. Place the flatbread on a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil. Heat oil in a small skillet and brown chicken sausage. Add onion, jalapeno and mushrooms. Season with salt and sauté for 3 to 4 minutes. Top flatbreads with sausage mixture, sliced peppers and thyme. Sprinkle with cheeses and bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly.

Nutrition Information:
(per 1 flatbread)
Calories: 380
Total Fat: 14.5 grams
Saturated Fat: 5 grams
Total Carbohydrate: 45 grams
Protein: 22 grams
Sodium: 925 milligrams
Cholesterol: 52 milligrams
Fiber: 7 grams

A Healthy Dinner That’s Also Quick? How About 7 of Them?

Whipping up a healthy meal doesn’t have to be a source of agita — or a gigantic time commitment. Each of these good-for-you dinners is ready in 25 (make that 24!) to 40 minutes. Swiss Chard Soup: 40 min (above, from Food Network Magazine) Swiss Chard is in charge when it comes to this satisfying soup.Read more

1. CAE426 says:

I made this for dinner last night and both my husband and I loved it. I used a little dried thyme since I didn't have fresh, and added a little extra mozzarella in place of the provolone slice. Whole Foods sells fantastic Italian chicken sausage at their meat counter, which I used. We still have two pieces of whole wheat naan left, so I plan to make it again this weekend.

2. I'm going to try this one….ummm it sounds and looks yummy

3. fitzmary says:

Speaking of Whole Foods, for those of you who are Celiac or just plain gluten-sensitive, Whole Foods has their own frozen pizza rounds which work just as well with this recipe. The secret is to thaw, spray the crust with either PAM Olive Oil spray or use your hands and lightly coat the crust with olive oil…all the way to the very edge. Put in 350 degree oven for ten minutes. Then remove, turn the oven to 400 degrees and proceed.

4. booney says:

I have been looking for a recipe for many, many years. It was called "stuffed peppers" by my mother. However, it is not a "true" stuffed pepper. These were green peppers stuffed with a cabbage mixture and then a pickling liquid was poured over them in the jar. If anyone has this recipe I as well as my sister would love to have it. It is one of our comfort foods from childhood. thaniks

5. Judy says:

My mother always made her stuffed peppers.. as well as her stuffed cabbage.. by stuffing them with a rice and groundbeef mixture… and them cooking them in a light tomato sauce.. its the only way besides coleslaw that I even ate cabbage… although now .. as an adult I eat it more often… But mom's were delish…

6. Charles Brink says:

Follow the first amendment and let the ceo of whole foods have his constitutional rights. Not just the raving liberals.

7. christine says:

My husband has made some peppers in a jar that sound like what you are talking about. Soak 4 dozen banana peppers in salt water. Stand peppers in jars with small garlic pieces. Mix 4 lbs sauerkraut with 1/2 cup sugar, 2 T salt, 2 tsp pepper, 2 tsp celery seed, and 1 cup olive oil. Stuff mixture into peppers. Then mix 2 cups water 4 cups sugar and 4 cups vinegar together and pour over peppers, filling jars. Add pinch powdered alum and seal. You can process for 10 minutes if you want, but they get eaten pretty darn fast! Hope this is what you are looking for!

8. foodie5951 says:

WHY?????

I can't believe you did not give a reason to boycott.