Try It Today: Raw Food

by in Healthy Tips, No-Cook Choices, August 7, 2009

Sesame Noodles
This week, we focused on a bunch of no-cook ideas. What better way to go oven-free than trying out some raw cuisine? Raw food is a new(ish) culinary trend, in which enthusiasts ditch cooked foods (and often dairy) for creative, fresh vegan cuisine.

New to it, I decided to swing by Pure Food & Wine, a popular raw food restaurant in New York City, and speak with Sarma Melingailis, the restaurant’s owner and author of Living Raw Food, to learn more and get some recipe ideas.

The Basics
Raw food is just that — raw. Nothing is cooked above 116 degrees Fahrenheit in order to keep the food’s enzymes in tact. So what’s off the menu? Foods like pasta, rice, bread, legumes, meat, eggs…basically, anything you have to cook (you get the picture).

As for what you can eat, fresh fruits, veggies, nuts, seeds, herbs and miso are the basics. This list seems a little limiting, but raw chefs think outside the oven and often come up with unusual substitutes — maybe a cheese made from nuts or squash turned into noodles.

My Experience
Last week, I went with my Healthy Eats gal Kristine to Pure Food & Wine to sample their spread; we were pleasantly surprised. We started with asparagus sushi rolls filled with mushrooms (shredded jicama replaced the traditional rice), a plate of assorted “cheeses” (made from tree nuts and blue-green algae) and zucchini sliced into fettuccini-sized strips and drizzled with a creamy basil sauce.

If that sampling sounds interesting, the mains were more inventive. My favorite was the white corn tamales with salsa verde, and Kristine and I fought over the mouthwatering hothouse tomatoes tucked into the layers of the zucchini-noodle lasagna (one of the restaurant’s most popular dishes). But we both agreed that tiramisu dessert was the best item all night.

Now you’re probably wondering: Am I a convert? No, not necessarily. I like my cooked foods, but eating raw was a nice change of pace.

More From Sarma Melingailis
In preparation of my raw food experience, I picked the brain of Pure Food’s visionary, Sarma Melingailis. Here is what she told me about what inspires her interest in this super-fresh cuisine.

Q: How did you first discover raw food?
A: In 2003, I ended up in a small raw food café in Manhattan that I’d never heard of. The food was really good, much better than I’d expected, and I noticed how good I felt versus the heavy, lethargic feeling I was used to after a regular restaurant dinner. I was completely intrigued. The full story of how I went raw with my then-partner is in [my book] Raw Food Real World, but basically, we decided to go all raw for 2 weeks, just as an experiment. I felt so amazing that after only a few days I realized the experiment had become a permanent shift.

Q: Are you a raw food purist or do you mix some cooked food in, too?
A: I was much more rigid about staying raw during the first year. Over the years, I’ve become more flexible, and I make exceptions when I’m at other restaurants or when traveling. But only if it’s really good quality food. Staying organic and natural is very important. I usually just say I am mostly raw. Operating a raw food restaurant, juice bar and online snack business certainly makes it easier to maintain, and when traveling, I can always bring lots of One Lucky Duck snacks with me so I know I won’t go hungry. I’d rather go hungry than eat airplane or airport food!

Q: What’s your most favorite dish, simple or complicated, to make on your own?
A: I don’t have a lot of time and I have a tiny New York City apartment kitchen, so I don’t prepare much myself anymore. When I moved into this place, I gave away boxes and boxes of cooking equipment — pastry tools, mixers, pots and pans in every shape and size. I still miss my chrome Kitchen-Aid. I had a special bond with that machine. I use my oven and microwave for storage now. My favorite thing is to come back from the farmers’ market with loads of fresh produce and make a really nice salad, full of fresh herbs and dressed with macadamia nut oil, lime juice and sea salt. Or argan oil — I love argan oil and nutty flavors.

Q: Do the folks reading your cookbooks or coming to the restaurant adopt a totally raw food diet or is this more of a dabbling?
A: I think most people who come to the restaurant and most readers of the cookbooks are not exclusively raw or vegan. We have loads of regulars that come often just because they like the food and they like how it makes them feel. Some people are inspired to go all raw, which is great, and some people are just inspired to eat healthier, more natural foods. Either way, it makes me feel really good!

Q: What’s one reason why someone should test out going raw?
A: Eating fresh fruits and vegetables and fresh, clean food keeps you clean inside, full of energy and your immune system strong. A lot of people nowadays are realizing that they’re sensitive to gluten and/or casein. In general, it’s sad to see so many people walking around feeling tired, bloated, heavy and/or constipated. Once you see how good you feel eating much more fresh foods, it’s hard to go back.

Q: If someone wanted to start making raw dishes at home, are there basics they should know? What few foods would you suggest going raw with first?
A: Eating raw is much easier than people think. It just helps if you have access to really good quality fresh produce. I think people underestimate how appealing otherwise unappealing vegetables can be when shredded or shaved very thin. Zucchini, asparagus, fennel and even mushrooms are great when sliced super thin on a mandoline slicer, which takes only a minute or two. Then you can toss those with a flavorful sauce.

Here is one recipe that does just that…

Sesame Mixed Vegetable “Noodles” with Herbs
(shown above)
Serves 8 to 10

Equipment: Japanese mandoline

Sesame Dressing
1 cup sesame tahini
1/4 cup sesame oil
1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
1/4 cup mellow red miso
3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons filtered water
1/4 cup black sesame seeds

In a large bowl, whisk together the tahini, sesame oil, lemon juice, miso and 1/2 cup of the water. Add the remaining water a bit at a time and continue whisking until smooth. Stir in the sesame seeds and set aside.

Vegetables
4 cups daikon radish, julienned on a mandoline
2 red bell peppers, cored and julienned
3 medium zucchini, julienned on a mandoline
3 medium carrots, peeled and julienned on a mandoline
6 baby bok choy, leaves thinly sliced on a bias
3 scallions, whites and about 1 inch of green, thinly sliced
1 big handful cilantro leaves
Sea salt

In a large bowl, toss all the prepared vegetables and the sesame dressing until evenly coated. Season to taste with sea salt.

*Note: This recipe contains a bit more fat than our Healthy Eats guidelines typically allow.

TELL US: Would you consider adding more raw food to your regular routine?

Grab-and-Go Sport Snacks

Being a recreational athlete means you take your sport and training seriously, but you have other priorities as well, such as work, family, and friend...

1. guest says:

Going raw myself. Time to get healthy from the inside out. Need more info about raw food in main stream media. It is delicious! Thanks for covering this great trail blazer in the living food world.

2. Fawn says:

whoa there AUNTYMOMMA. Yacon DOES NOT contain insulin (that is the hormone produced by the pancreas that regulates blood glucose levels and is a huge concern for diabetics, type I and type II alike). Yacon syrup contains INULIN, very different!

3. Fawn says:

I would love to do raw foods. Sadly individuals who suffer from gastroparesis have an extremely difficult time with this. It would be interesting to post an article for those of us on diet restrictions due to this condition.

4. Fawn says:

to Guest, fat does not break down into sugar sadly. If it did, people would tend to be thinner b/c fat would be the more readily chosen source for energy. Excess fat isn’t converted to sugar, it is stored as fat. High fat diet interferes w/ regulation of blood sugars b/c it slows digestion down and this may not work well w/ oral medications (I know it’s tough to figure out an insulin regime for pizza, etc unless you have a pump).

5. Linda Calderon says:

Fawn picked up the same thing I did from AuntyMomma. Insulin is not an ingredient but inulin which is a fiber. I used Stevia with inulin and it doesn't raise the blood sugar. I'm not diabetic, but figure I get enough sugar in things like the almond milk I use, although it is a low amount and I prefer it to the unsweetened as I pour it over raw oatmeal, let it soak in for about 10 min. and eat it raw with berries, chopped apple and walnuts. If you are trying to lose weight and need protein too, you can add tofu and you have a protein which helps in weight loss and also to balance the sugars so good for diabetics too or use soy milk which has protein. I have added blueberries and the apple and/or strawberries. The apple/walnut combo is what makes this so delicious, but would be high in natural sugars if no protein eaten with it. I also most times add some agave syrup and if tofu in there, put it directly on the tofu and then mix in. I was told by a friend in a health food store that he also soaks rice and other grains overnite and then doesn't need to cook them either.

Blessings, Linda

6. Chlorella says:

"The most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched, they must be felt with the heart." ~ Helen Keller

7. "Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

8. Zainab Fisher says:

My husband and I both vegan, We eat 80% raw vegan food, 20% cooked vegan food. We both lost weight, we look 10yrs younger. I am also a vegan chef.

Namaste,

Zee

9. Do you have a child ever before get pulled through the game all of a sudden in youth sports activities and you had been left are you wondering why? [url=http://www.katespadefassyon.com/]ケイトスペード 財布[/url]

It can be fun for your kids who all enjoy handing out the awards sometimes over actually getting them. Typically the adults will likely probably get yourself a laugh from among the better qualities that the youngsters see in 1 another.[url=http://www.coachfassyonjp.com/]www.coachfassyonjp.com[/url], Hardly ever will the children focus on real soccer ability any time announcing their guy players rather a thing that would fall past most adult’s focus. [url=http://www.chromeheartssilverjp.com/]www.chromeheartssilverjp.com[/url],One year our “MVP” was the quiet boy whose parents separated recently spectacular newly individual dad brought Teil Dongs to the half moment snack rather than the normal fruit moms contributed.

This just highlights exactly how when you provide soccer honours and rewarding little kids; [url=http://www.annasuigirl.com/]アナスイ 財布[/url],to them, [url=http://www.gagawatchjap.com/]www.gagawatchjap.com[/url],is and losses and also goals usually be found very well behind an excellent chocolate snack with a smooth completing.

10. Artegutty says:

宿題など自分から進んで勉強しましょう。[url=http://www.annasuija.com/]http://www.annasuija.com/[/url],テレビやゲームの時間を決めましょう。いい加減にして欲しいよ…。

ストアの評価人数が合計で1人があり、ストア評価(最大5点)が4.5の高値になったこの商品を買ったら、302ポイントを獲得します。

ひろぱんもこの気持ちを覚えていてくれたら嬉しいんだけどなこれからもたくさんすれ違いとかあると思うけど、[url=http://www.oudouoakleyja.com/]http://www.oudouoakleyja.com/[/url],二人なりに、支え合いながら進もうね。

でお届けいたします午後時までに注文が確認(代金引換)、ご入金が確認(銀行振込)できた場合即日発送させて頂きます。[url=http://www.pradaautorettojp.com/]プラダ バッグ[/url],それ以降は、翌営業日の発送となります。(土日祝祭日は入金確認ができませんので翌営業日の発送となります。)

(12/15)福袋キャスキッドソン【女子力アップのアイテムがたくさん詰まってこの値段!?おまけもありだよ】激安送料無料

始業時間に教室に現れた彼は疲れ気味の様子だったが、[url=http://www.policesangurasu.com/]ポリス 時計 芸能人[/url],持ち前の気合いと根性で自身が平日朝にアメブロにアップしている“怒号”について熱く解説。

私たちの住む惑星クイック、置くのファッションを変更し始めています. ファッショナブルなあなたが本当にプログラマーのほとんどになりたい女の子している場合は、ファッショナブルなと、ワードローブのものを求めて、私選択行く有効にするのにはコーチの出口のコーチ バッグ推薦します. うちのコーチかどうかを計算しました. コーチを増やすか?さらにグッチ、YSL、ダナキャランだけでなく、すべての指摘バッグ技術担当のエンジニアが最も可能性の高いコーチ. [url=http://www.coachautorettojp.com/]コーチ バッグ[/url],規律は、1941 年に設立されました. そのハード中コーチ維持継続的に高い等級材料と技術標準.