Fresh & Fruity Freezer Pops

by in Healthy Recipes, No-Cook Choices, August 6, 2009

popsicles_lead
This summer, skip your supermarket’s freezer section and quit flagging down the ice cream truck. Instead, make these quick and easy ice pops that are tailored to your taste buds. All you need to do is create your mixture, pour the liquid in the molds and stick them in the freezer. Give them half a day to freeze and, voilà, cool treats — perfect for the kids or entertaining friends!

Here are some combos I like:

For the fruit lover: Combine orange juice, grapefruit juice or lemonade with chunks of your favorite berry or fruit. If it’s a small berry (say, blueberries) use the whole berry; for strawberries, bananas or watermelon, you can do a rough chop or purée them if you want.

For more creaminess: Mix low-fat vanilla yogurt with your favorite fruit to give your popsicle a smoothie-like twist. Dairy-free folks can try soy yogurt, too.

Note: You will need special molds (usually they make about 6 to 8 freezer pops), which are available at most cookware stores. You can also use small paper cups and freeze wooden sticks in them (just be sure to anchor the sticks with a whole berry or stick them in after the mixture has partially frozen).

Some More Tips

• Freshly squeezed juices work the best — orange, blood orange (a cool color!) and grapefruit juice are some of my favorites.
  • Leave 1/2 inch at the top of the mold because the liquid will expand.
  • If you have trouble removing your frozen popsicle, run the mold under warm water.

Cookie Monster: Our Favorite Healthy Holiday Cookies

Our holiday cookies are festive and delicious, but also packed with great nutritious ingredients so they're healthy too!...

1. Stephanie says:

or instead of buying the popsicle mold, you can make minis buy using ice cube trays, just stick a spoon in when they are 1/2 way frozen

2. terry werntz says:

I can't wait to try the brussel sprouts recipe as I love brussel sprouts even just plain. Thanks

3. erty buioy says:

terry werntz has some interesting ideas…I would like to hear how they turn out.

4. Yogi Marlon says:

I started doing this popcycle thing with fruit and juices a long time ago. One problem is that fresh juice tends to separate, so top to bottom the pop has a very different consistency. I'd love to know how to naturally emulsify the pops.
    One tip I have is that you can also make fabulous pops from plain old chocolate milk. De-lish!
    For some of my recipes, check out the bottom of my youtube page at http://youtube.com/yogimarlon or my site http://askyogimarlon.com

5. Bob Lipscomb, Chef says:

Mango Magic chillin Pops
    i like this recipe, it has a few steps but well worth it and enuff jazz to do @ a dinner party
    I use ripe mango puree2 cups, 1/2 cup simple syrup( ez 50-50 sugar water) ,dash vanilla, + juice of i lime (pulse not blend in food processor to emulsify)
    I.5 cups almond milk ( shaken),combine all ingredients mixing well.
    NOW THE MAGIC> 12 silicon muffin liners (unlined will work) in a 12 count muffin tin. place liners in muffin tin. fill tins almost full with mango magic mixture freeze for about 3 hrs.> after 1.5 hrs place a (yellow spoon- for mango) in the pops. Plate for dinner is desired ( the silicon liners will leave ridges.
    great for pops or for a dinner desert plate on frozen raspberry(sweetened) puree and a rose of cream. chill out!!!

6. andrew robitaille says: