Meet This Grain: Polenta

by in Healthy Holidays, Healthy Recipes, July 16, 2009

Polenta Squares
Whole-grain cornmeal is packed with nutrients. Wait until you discover all the things you can do with the versatile Italian delicacy polenta.

What Is Polenta?
Polenta is essentially cooked cornmeal. Once considered peasant food, it’s now made its way on to gourmet restaurant menus and cookbooks. To make it, ground, dried corn is boiled in water or broth to create a warm, creamy mixture (kind of like porridge) that has a mild, nutty corn flavor. You can then jazz this dish up with butter, cheese, herbs and vegetables.

Making Your Own Polenta
Ground to fine, medium or course textures, cornmeal can be yellow, white or blue. For making polenta, choose the yellow or white varieties; blue cornmeal tends to be coarser and not as well suited for achieving a smooth texture. You might see packages labeled “quick-cooking” at your local grocery store. That means the polenta is precooked and then re-dried for super fast preparation (usually 5 to 10 minutes). I find that finely ground cornmeal cooks up almost as quickly. The typical ratio for cooking polenta is 1 cup cornmeal to 4 cups of liquid.

Nutrition Facts
One cup of cornmeal will produce about 3 cups of polenta. By itself, one cup of polenta contains about 145 calories, 1 gram of fat, 3 grams of protein, 3 grams of fiber and no cholesterol. High-calorie flavorings such as butter and cheese will drive up the fat and calorie content, so use them sparingly.

Look for corn meal that is stone-ground when possible; this process keeps more of the grain intact, so the most nutrients are retained.

Ways to Enjoy
Your polenta prep options are almost limitless. Try it in bite-sized appetizers, a side dish for meat or fish or even a hearty vegetarian main course.

Freshly prepared, soft polenta is rich and velvety. Cook the grains in water or broth (for some extra flavor), and then stir in your favorite fresh herbs, spices, sautéed vegetables or some cheese. Just a touch of a sharply flavored cheese — like Parmesan or gorgonzola — is all you need. My favorite simple polenta recipe has only a few teaspoons of butter, fresh basil, black pepper and a sprinkle of coarsely grated Parmesan cheese.

Once cooked and cooled, polenta firms up and you can cut it into squares for grilling, baking, sautéing or frying. Tubes of cooked polenta are available at many grocery stores and can save you steps. Just slice, and you’re good to go.

Storage Tip: Keep air-tight containers of whole-grain cornmeal in a cool, dry place for up to one year. Put it in the freezer for extra mileage — 2 to 3 years!

Gluten-Free Thanksgiving Desserts (Delicious Too!)

With fall produce like pumpkin, apples and pears on hand, it's possible to say the words "healthy" and "dessert" in the same sentence this Thanksgivin...

1. danawhite says:

Hi Michele and Katemarie -
    To take the guesswork out of it, choose organic corn products – they are GMO-free. Local is always a good way to go too – many local farms are much smaller scale and do not need to resort to farming with genetically modified plants.

2. katemarie says:

good thought dana
    thankyou

3. mary says:

My mother is northern Italian-polenta was our Sunday dinner. The big copper pot, the polenta stick (that my grandfather made) and hours on the stove. The men in the family would make it because it was so hard to mix-and if it splatered you got burned-its like larva! The further north in Italy you go the harder they make their polenta. Ours was hard enough to slice-by the wedge. We would have a chicken or beef gravy over it. Now I make a small polenta for myself as my family doesn't care for it. No big production-still have to be careful when it boils, I have gotten burned-keep the kids away.

4. Really really good post!! I love polenta. It has very large amount of proteins and minerals .. It is very good for healthy diet.. Thanks for sharing.

5. Andrea Allen says:

There is a version of polenta that has been served in Jamaica for as long as I can remember. My mother used to love served sith fish. My daughter and i both love it. I make it and pour it into a loaf pan, chill it overnight then slice it, fry it in a little butter and serve it with eggs for breakfast. Delicious!!

6. Martha from Georgia says:

Honey, Polenta is Italian grits! Served with cheese, the sharper the better, and/or as an accompaniment to eggs or any protein-it's GRITS-yellow grits made with yellow corn as opposed to Winter or white corn. Healthy and really good!

7. Chef Art says:

Thank you all for talking about GMO corn Monsanto has gm 95% + of the corn grown in this country. Europe is banning GMO corn, alfalfa, etc. If you can't find organic corn meal, eat something else.

8. Father Dirty says:

Love GMO corn! Keep on trucking.

9. There are some attention-grabbing time limits on this article but I don’t know if I see all of them middle to heart. There may be some validity but I will take hold opinion until I look into it further. Good article , thanks and we wish extra! Added to FeedBurner as properly