Good Eats for Healthier Skin

by in Healthy Tips, July 14, 2009

kiwi_lead
Creams are helpful on the outside, but don’t count out what goes inside your body when you’re looking to keep your skin clear and fresh. Here are some foods to pile on your plate and ones to avoid.

Strawberries, Red Peppers, Kiwi
These fruits and veggies are packed with vitamin C, an antioxidant shown to prevent damage to the skin and possibly help prevent aging. Vitamin C also helps form collagen, which supports the skin’s structure and keeps it smooth.
Other vitamin C-rich foods: Potatoes, tomatoes, citrus fruit, broccoli
Recipe to try: Green Salad with Strawberry Balsamic Vinaigrette

Carrots, Apricots, Spinach
The antioxidant beta-carotene is in these fresh foods. Beta-carotene converts in the body to vitamin A, which we need to create new and healthy skin cells. It also protects your skin from bacteria and viruses and keeps it hydrated.
Other beta-carotene-rich foods: Collard greens, romaine lettuce, sweet potatoes
Recipe to try: Glazed Mini Carrots

Sunflower Seeds, Almonds, Olive Oil
Rounding out the antioxidants are the vitamin E-rich foods. This vitamin protects cell membranes from free-radical damage, especially brought on by UV rays. Of course, sun screen helps, but a serving of nuts and seeds every so often can help strengthen your cells from the inside.
Other vitamin E-rich foods: Mangoes, peanuts, chicken breast
Recipe to try: Cumin-Roasted Almonds

Water
At least half your body is made from water (50 to 60%) and that includes your skin. Not drinking enough water can dehydrate and give off that pruney look (no one wants that). Instead, keep your skin radiant by sipping water throughout the day. No need to chug gallons — you also get water from other sources such as fresh fruits and veggies.
Other hydrating sources: Sparkling water or seltzer, fresh juices
Recipe to try: Refreshing Berry Spritzer

Flaxseed, Salmon, Tuna
All rich in omega-3 fats, these foods help prevent inflammation (who needs puffy skin?). Their heart-healthy oils also keep skin nice and shiny. A study published in the Journal of the American College of Nutrition found that elderly folks who consumed higher amounts of fish and veggies throughout their life had fewer wrinkles. It could be the combo of the omega-3s in fish plus antioxidant-rich veggies, though researchers can’t say for sure right now.
Other omega-3 foods: Sardines, walnuts, tofu
Recipe to try: Saucy Salmon

Foods To Skip
Alcohol is not your skin’s friend — especially in excess. All alcohol, including wine, liquor and beer, should be limited to 1 drink for women and 2 drinks for men daily. Sweets such as cookies, cakes and candies have been said to increase acne breakout. Just remember this: If you’re binging on carb- and fat-laden goodies, you’re probably skipping other healthier stuff like fruits and veggies and not getting the antioxidants and nutritional benefits you need. There’s also conflicting research on milk — some evidence shows that milk contributes to acne. But researchers aren’t sure if the hormones in the milk are the real culprit. Your best bet is to purchase hormone-free milk and stick to 2 servings of dairy per day.

Grab-and-Go Sport Snacks

Being a recreational athlete means you take your sport and training seriously, but you have other priorities as well, such as work, family, and friend...

1. Kristin says:

Any dietary suggestions for oily skin?? I have a skin care regimen that has worked well for my acne, but I still have ridiculously oily skin.

2. Ellen says:

I am a 37 year old woman with a long history of facial acne. Two years ago, I stopped consuming dairy and I am acne-free. It is no coincidence. Before going dairy-free, I tried everything – including always washing my face – never wore make-up and used every acne drug known to man including Accutane. For me, dairy was the culprit. If I splurge and indulge with an ice cream, I break out almost immediately.

3. Mary says:

I started take fish oil and holding ice (in a plastic snack bag) on my face (chin and above lip area) every day. No more pimples!

4. Annabel says:

acne isnt as much of a bothre to me as opposed to the redness on my cheeks, what could help control that?

5. Samantha says:

I love this!!!!!!!! They really tell ya what to eat and what to drink so that it can help the body and mind. PERFECT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can read this a million times. *Adding to Favorites* I have go to show my girlfriends this article! They will love it becuase they love organic foods!!!. Did you hear Michael jackson ate and drank organic food? SO there was no reason for him to die before a tour right? HATE HIS DOCTOR MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hope he goes to prison!!!!

6. Lauren Swann says:

This just in today, might be of interest

"Understanding differences in global beauty foods markets"

7. Vicky says:

We switched to almond milk in order to avoid the possibility of hormones. Soy milk is loaded with naturally occuring estrogen which is why menopausal women are encouraged to drink soy to help with hot flashes. Because of this you certainly don't want your sons or husbands consuming soy, or your daughters for that matter. Early menses anyone? Almond milk is loaded with nutrition and tastes delicious. My family loves it and it contains lots of vitamin e and magnesium. Pour it over a nutritious cereal with fresh fruit for a healthy start to the day for your skin and heart.

8. mariella says:

does dehydrated food count as well?? such as dried apricots..do they have the same effect as the fresh ones?

9. Vanessa says:

Grapes are a low-calorie fruit that is mostly composed of water to help with hydration.

10. Magnificent issues altogether, you just received a brand new reader. What could you recommend in regards to your publish that you simply made some days in the past? Any certain?