Good Eats for Healthier Skin

by in Healthy Tips, July 14, 2009

kiwi_lead
Creams are helpful on the outside, but don’t count out what goes inside your body when you’re looking to keep your skin clear and fresh. Here are some foods to pile on your plate and ones to avoid.

Strawberries, Red Peppers, Kiwi
These fruits and veggies are packed with vitamin C, an antioxidant shown to prevent damage to the skin and possibly help prevent aging. Vitamin C also helps form collagen, which supports the skin’s structure and keeps it smooth.
Other vitamin C-rich foods: Potatoes, tomatoes, citrus fruit, broccoli
Recipe to try: Green Salad with Strawberry Balsamic Vinaigrette

Carrots, Apricots, Spinach
The antioxidant beta-carotene is in these fresh foods. Beta-carotene converts in the body to vitamin A, which we need to create new and healthy skin cells. It also protects your skin from bacteria and viruses and keeps it hydrated.
Other beta-carotene-rich foods: Collard greens, romaine lettuce, sweet potatoes
Recipe to try: Glazed Mini Carrots

Sunflower Seeds, Almonds, Olive Oil
Rounding out the antioxidants are the vitamin E-rich foods. This vitamin protects cell membranes from free-radical damage, especially brought on by UV rays. Of course, sun screen helps, but a serving of nuts and seeds every so often can help strengthen your cells from the inside.
Other vitamin E-rich foods: Mangoes, peanuts, chicken breast
Recipe to try: Cumin-Roasted Almonds

Water
At least half your body is made from water (50 to 60%) and that includes your skin. Not drinking enough water can dehydrate and give off that pruney look (no one wants that). Instead, keep your skin radiant by sipping water throughout the day. No need to chug gallons — you also get water from other sources such as fresh fruits and veggies.
Other hydrating sources: Sparkling water or seltzer, fresh juices
Recipe to try: Refreshing Berry Spritzer

Flaxseed, Salmon, Tuna
All rich in omega-3 fats, these foods help prevent inflammation (who needs puffy skin?). Their heart-healthy oils also keep skin nice and shiny. A study published in the Journal of the American College of Nutrition found that elderly folks who consumed higher amounts of fish and veggies throughout their life had fewer wrinkles. It could be the combo of the omega-3s in fish plus antioxidant-rich veggies, though researchers can’t say for sure right now.
Other omega-3 foods: Sardines, walnuts, tofu
Recipe to try: Saucy Salmon

Foods To Skip
Alcohol is not your skin’s friend — especially in excess. All alcohol, including wine, liquor and beer, should be limited to 1 drink for women and 2 drinks for men daily. Sweets such as cookies, cakes and candies have been said to increase acne breakout. Just remember this: If you’re binging on carb- and fat-laden goodies, you’re probably skipping other healthier stuff like fruits and veggies and not getting the antioxidants and nutritional benefits you need. There’s also conflicting research on milk — some evidence shows that milk contributes to acne. But researchers aren’t sure if the hormones in the milk are the real culprit. Your best bet is to purchase hormone-free milk and stick to 2 servings of dairy per day.

Dipping Into the World of Honey

Honey is one of the regulars in my rotation of natural sweeteners. It’s also traditionally eaten during Rosh Hashanah, to symbolize a sweet Ne...

1. BEUTIFUL hot swtor credits on the other hand yuck! you will find attached to terrible issue. YOU have GOT to make sure x10000000000000 and the sequins fall off!!! not necessarily impressive.

2. tasneem says:

Thank you for the post! I’d like to share information about our company services “B.B. Wax & Aesthetique”, such as skin treatment studio city. Right now we have a great deals and promotions for different types of skin treatment studio city. Also, check out our other services. We are very popular for waxing studio city, especially for Brazilian wax studio city. Visit irst appointment.

3. tamidor says:

Hi Audrey,
    You can go to the American Heart Association website at http://www.americanheart.org for heart healthy information. You can also consult with a registered dietitian in your area on the
    American Dietetic Association website.

4. tamidor says:

Hi Audrey,
    You can go to the American Heart Association website at http://www.americanheart.org for heart healthy information. You can also find a registered dietitian in your area on the
    American Dietetic Association website.

5. wikiderm says:

Look at http://www.thepaleodiet.com
    I have no financial interest in it.

6. Rita says:

Hi Audrey! I went on the American Diabetic Association's 1800 calories per day diet. I am NOT diabetic but a friend of mine is. Not only did I lose weight but it helped my blood pressure to go down as well as increase my energy level. It holds the key for low sodium content (salt) , also fat & cholestorol controls. You can find the American Diabetic Association listed on the world wide web, doctor or local medical center / hospital. They have a conversion chart available as well as nutritionists who are available to assist you in putting together a diet & exercise regimen to get you going in an appropriately healthy manner. Since December of 2008 when I started their diet, I have now lost a total of 108lbs. through utilization of their diet & a stringent exercise program.

7. Sheila says:

Hi Audrey, Check out the Mayo Clinic website and sign up for updates. You'll be amazed how much info is there!!! Sheila

8. wikiderm says:

Stop all your dairy.
    See acnemilk.com Physicians Guidelines for help

9. shelly says:

hi TC, it may be that you suffer from allergies that you are unaware of. look into this….http://www.naet.com it's an allergy elimination treatment that has amazing results. the body is a beautiful and intelligent vessel that is capable of healing itself when setting it on the right path. i hope this helps!

10. Nance says:

Hi, I personally don't like using any chemicals on my face, so I started reading up on natural ingredients. I've been using Tea Tree, and my acne is clearing pretty well. Also, a lot of times when acne is in the forehead that means that is a reaction to something that you're using. Make sure that you're face wash doesn't have fragances as this can cause allergic reactions. Check out this website, you'll find a lot of good things Acne.org

11. Julie says:

Detox. Getting all of the toxins and preservatives out of your system does wonders for hair and skin.

12. gailco says:

to get rid of acne you have to take a natural remedy, i suggest taking "carrot" not regular carrots but it's an herbal pill that once built up in your body, will get rid of your acne, i had a girl try it and she said it works! also it doesn't hurt to pray for your health and healing…

13. HumaNourish says:

Try mixing a tablespoon of honey and a teaspoon of cinnamon – put it on your face at night like a paste – it helped my skin SO much! (just dont forget to put a towel down on your pillow cause its messy – and your hair back if you are a girl!

14. tatiana says:

Your skin problem might be a result of fungal toxins.I am not a doctor,but when it comes to health,
    you have to be well educated by yourself. Read Brenda Watson, she has some antiparasite treatment too.It helps me,when I almost lost a hope.Tatiana

15. Glo=Grrl says:

Something that might help is to keep a journal. This can help facilitate learning what might be causing your forehead to break out. Are you sweating in the summer while you wear a cap or hat outdoors? Oil/sweat/dirt may be redepositing on your skin. Do you notice certain foods make your skin more prone to those breakouts? My pores sometimes become clogged from the self-tanning products and sun screen I use more frequently in the summer months. To combat this, I thoroughly cleanse with a gentle micro-exfoliator at night, followed by a cotton pad with Witch Hazel applied to "T-Zone" areas. Wait 10 – 15 min, good time to brush and floss, then I apply an oil-free moisturizing self-tanner. Two benefits in one. It took me 2 summers to figure out what was causing my face to constantly have a blemish here or there: I was eating sweet pastries with my morning coffee, then at night I was scrubbing off the summer sweat, makeup and natural oils with a harsh, gritty cleaner then going to bed. That lack of healthy diet, coupled with the wrong products, left my skin begging for some T.L.C. By cleaning thoroughly, then adding moisture, my skin is healthy, clear and it glows, with a little help from the self-tanner. Point being, be gentle to your skin, look at what you're doing and eating and note when your skin is happy, your journaling will pay off.

16. Tedra says:

I would suggest doing a total body cleanse

17. lola says:

I had two kinds of acne last year and here's what worked for me. Lots of small bumps and oily skin on my forehead I also had cystic acne on my cheeks and chin. For both I washed gently with basic sensitive skin bar twice a day and moisturized with a oil free moisturizer (oil of olay sensitive skin works). I used a 2% benzoyl peroxide cream ( not the stronger stuff). It worked except in the hot summer months my forehead got worse again. I think it may be a different type of acne related to yeast. I swear this worked for me.. try swabbing your forehead after washing it with white vinegar diluted with water. Just wet a paper towel with the vinegar and hit it with a touch of water. Also cutting back on my dairy helped immensely as well as increasing my zinc by eating oysters or clams about once every one or two weeks. Good luck! I know how frustrating it is!

18. Denise says:

My son had acne & we started him on Proactive skin care. He is very health conscious & is in great shape. I am a cosmetologist; we tried facials, doctors & expensive treatments. Proactive was a last ditch effort. He had amazing results in a very short period of time. If I hadn’t seen it myself I would not have believed. Please don't wait another minute or another dime on anything but this effective product. Acne is a painful, scaring & embarrasing thing to live with. I am excited for your healing to begin.

19. wikiderm says:

Go, Jo
    High glycemic foods (that make the sugar in your blood go up) are bad news for acne.

20. Julie says:

But there is milk with no ADDED hormones. Naturally occurring hormones are not the problem, it's the artificial stuff added to make the animals bigger and better and whatever

21. mrscrawford says:

what are the benefits of this? Is this for hydration? age spots?

22. Sheila says:

Vanessa, I eat purple or black grapes a lot. They're full of water and dark colored for antioxidant. They're nice with chicken & tuna salad or tossed on a salad. Luv grapes!