Spotlight Recipe: Kale Chips

by in Healthy Recipes, July 7, 2009

kalechips_lead
These kale chips are crunchy, light, and melt in your mouth. They’re a tasty alternative to traditional chips, and a yummy way to incorporate more greens into your family’s diet. Plus, kale is packed with vitamins A and C, fiber and antioxidants! My hubby is always asking me to make these, and they’ve been a big hit with kids, too.

Ingredients
1 bunch kale leaves
1/2 tablespoon olive oil
Pinch of salt
Fresh ground pepper to taste
Add some garlic or red pepper flakes for an extra kick

Directions
Preheat oven to 250°F. Rinse kale and dry well. Break or cut the kale into bite-sized pieces. Toss kale with olive oil in a large bowl. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and other optional seasonings. Arrange kale leaves in single layer (not overlapping) on one or two large baking sheets. Bake in the oven until crisp, about 20 to 25 minutes.

Nutrition Info:
Servings: 8
Calories: 110
Protein: 6.5 grams
Carbohydrates: 18 grams
Fiber: 4 grams
Fat: 2.6 grams
Saturated Fat: .43 grams
Cholesterol: .35 milligrams
Sodium: 132 milligrams

Katie Cavuto Boyle, MS, RD, owns HealthyBites, LLC and is a finalist on The Next Food Network Star, which airs Sundays on Food Network.

Tags: ,

5 Next-Level Gazpachos

No need to pigeonhole a perfectly good chilled tomato soup to its classic definition. Instead, let go of your preconceived concepts and you’ll s...

1. Alice Henry says:

I liked Kate's healthy tips but she had to talk to fast to catch all of them when she was cooking. I also think with the anount of time she had to make her turkeyburg witch takes longer then a hamburger and some people eat hamburger when it pink she should have gone with hamburger to be fair with the cooking time. I rely liked Kate and could stand to watch her cooking much better then I would watch some of the others cooking my meal. Alice Henry

2. Krikri says:

The mention of antioxidants is enough to make kale a great choice. This property of the veggie plays an important part in disease prevention. So with vitamins A , C and fiber you are offering a restorative and protective meal.

3. katie says:

And…it tastes so good! A favorite veggie in my house!!!

4. Stephanie says:

these sound so good!!! im excited to try them!!

plus I'm pretty sure that all the healthy eats readers were rooting for katie on NFNS!

5. phillycook says:

Sorry this looks gross, why not steam it as a side dish

6. katie says:

I absolutely love steaming and sauteing kale as well…but this is a tasty. crunchy variation…I've even grilled it with some olive oil salt and pepper! Be creative :) If you don't like it…no biggie, you tried!

7. shannon says:

wow, how creative! i'll have to give it a try, my hubby doesn't like steamed or soft greens, but crisp like a chip may win him over!

8. Madileine says:

I'm sorry but these are sometime to stay away from!!
    I just made them and had about 8 until I thought I was going to throw up.
    They're good at first, but after a while the taste in your mouth lingers with this bitter flavoring.

9. Madileine says:

something*

10. Tanya says:

I love these, but I add a lot of spices: garlic powder, onion powder, seasoned salt. It's soooo good!