Getting to Know Us: Katie Cavuto Boyle

by in Uncategorized, June 1, 2009

katie cavuto shopping
We debuted a new blogger this week — Katie Cavuto Boyle, registered dietitian and finalist on this summer’s The Next Food Network Star. Every Sunday, Katie will offer her healthy musings (aptly titled “Katie’s Healthy Bites”). Keeping with tradition, she also filled out our fun, food-filled questionnaire. Check out her answers and give her a warm Healthy Eats welcome.

You’re stranded on a desert island. What five food items do you hope are on hand?

• Quinoa – I could eat it as is or I could grind it down to flour for bread and pasta.

• Tomatoes – One of my favorite things to cook with.
  • Fruit – Whatever is in season, I love it all!
  • Almond butter or almonds
  • Greek yogurt

What’s your guiltiest indulgence?
Bacon, I secretly love it! Everything in moderation, right?

What dish do you love to cook?
Chicken sausage or shrimp (or both) with white beans, tomatoes and kale

What food do you always bring to a potluck party?
A veggie, bean or pasta salad (or combination of all three)

What recipe does everyone always ask you for?
Chicken and Spinach Lasagna or Mediterranean Couscous Salad

If you could have dinner with three people (from the past or present), who would they be?

• Grandparents (all four…I know that’s cheating)

• Dalai Lama
  • Mario Batali, but I would want to go on a culinary adventure with him (Spain, Greece or Italy preferred)

What’s one food you just can’t stand?
Foie gras and processed meat products (pork roll, scrapple, etc.)

What ice cream flavor would you be?
Berry Graham Crunch

What’s your favorite kitchen gadget or appliance?
Immersion blender and microplane…it’s a tie!

Favorite fruit: grapes and berries
Favorite veggie: kale, chard or Brussels sprouts…but I love them all!
Favorite kid-friendly dish: chicken fingers and mac and cheese
Favorite cookbook: Jamie Oliver’s Jamie At Home – all about growing your own food and bringing it to life in the kitchen

Mexican or Italian?
That’s tough…I am 100% Italian so I am a huge fan, but my husband loves Mexican food (we actually were married in Mexico) so we eat it often. As long as it is fresh and full of colors and flavors, I’m in!

PB&J sandwich or grilled cheese?
Grilled cheese (a little burnt) — this is 100% comfort food.

You get one food-related wish — what would it be?
To have an amazing organic farm (and someone to tend to it), full of all of my favorite fruits and veggies and a year-round growing season so I always had local, fresh ingredients!

See Katie’s full professional credentials here.

10 Time-Saving Kitchen Hacks

True, time in the kitchen can be relaxing and therapeutic — but that doesn’t mean efficiency is a bad thing. There are lots of shortcuts that ...

1. CHEF BRAD says:

HEY EVERYONE KATIE IS TEACHING A CLASS AT SUR LA TABLE IN MARLTON. NJ. SHE IS DEMO-ING A GREAT MENU WITH PLENTY OF SAMPLES FOR ALL. CHECK OUT THE STORE WEBSITE TO REGISTER OR CALL 856-797-6572. http://WWW.SURLATABLE.COM CLICK ON COOKING PROGRAM THEN CLICK ON MARLTON LOCATION.

HOPE TO SEE YOU ALL THERE!

CHEF BRAD, SUR LA TABLE

2. Toni Brown says:

Hi Katie!
    This will be a strange request, but here goes. I taught Aerobics In Motion with your mom at the West Chester YMCA back in the 1980's. I saw you on the Food Network's Next Star and just knew that you had to be Jeanne's daughter! My name is Toni Brown and would love to be in touch with her, can you help me to reconnect with your mom!

3. Jean says:

Hi Katie:

Glad to have found you and look forward to learning all I can from you. I hope you will address the subject of food intolerances/sensitivies as I have them big time and it's very limiting to what I can make. I can't tolerate things like garlic, onions, lettuce, cukes, gluten, most dairy products and the like. I'm trying to figure out things I can make so I don't have to live on plain old brown rice. I like it but it gets old quickly. Any ideas you can give me would be appreciated.

4. Percy says:

I am glad that food Network did allow you on as a contestant. however, that is not the network that would maximize your skills and knowledge. I look forward to trying your dishes. Question, what is your favorite pizza dish? i lived in Italy for 3 years and I am partical to the thin crust, but I am curious to see which you like.

5. katie says:

Thanks for all of your support :) I hope you enjoy my recipes and tips!

I love a crunchy thin crust pizza (if its whole grain even better)…favorite toppings…a little sauce, some ricotta cheese, mushrooms, spinach or kale, chicken sausage, red pepper flakes and parm…

I love to load up my pizza with veggies and protein so it is more balanced! A drizzle of pesto at the end hits the spot :)

6. Ruth says:

Katie, I liked you the Next Food Network Star and it worries me that they are so "down" on healthy eating. I had a doctor who said "diet is the mainstay". You can make it delicious, too! I think it is important to find ways to cook delicious and beautiful-looking and fancy food healthy. I am forever figuring out how to "make-over" recipes. For one thing, I don't have regular sugar in the house – use mostly Stevia, maybe a little saccharin, organic molasses and honey to cook with — and only non-calories sweetners for drinks. Do you have recipes with Stevia in them? Actually, I love the Food Network, but like I said, I am forever "making-over" many recipes!

7. Solomon Kahn says:

KATIE!!!!! My mom just saw you at one of your personal appearances, and did not know that I knew you, but was calling to tell me about you and when she told me your name, I was so excited! PLEASE get in touch!!! Would love to chat!- love Sol

8. A L says:

Hey Katie… best of luck this week with the opening of your market/cafe! : ) luv, A L