Getting to Know Us: Katie Cavuto Boyle

by in Uncategorized, June 1, 2009

katie cavuto shopping
We debuted a new blogger this week — Katie Cavuto Boyle, registered dietitian and finalist on this summer’s The Next Food Network Star. Every Sunday, Katie will offer her healthy musings (aptly titled “Katie’s Healthy Bites”). Keeping with tradition, she also filled out our fun, food-filled questionnaire. Check out her answers and give her a warm Healthy Eats welcome.

You’re stranded on a desert island. What five food items do you hope are on hand?

• Quinoa – I could eat it as is or I could grind it down to flour for bread and pasta.

• Tomatoes – One of my favorite things to cook with.
  • Fruit – Whatever is in season, I love it all!
  • Almond butter or almonds
  • Greek yogurt

What’s your guiltiest indulgence?
Bacon, I secretly love it! Everything in moderation, right?

What dish do you love to cook?
Chicken sausage or shrimp (or both) with white beans, tomatoes and kale

What food do you always bring to a potluck party?
A veggie, bean or pasta salad (or combination of all three)

What recipe does everyone always ask you for?
Chicken and Spinach Lasagna or Mediterranean Couscous Salad

If you could have dinner with three people (from the past or present), who would they be?

• Grandparents (all four…I know that’s cheating)

• Dalai Lama
  • Mario Batali, but I would want to go on a culinary adventure with him (Spain, Greece or Italy preferred)

What’s one food you just can’t stand?
Foie gras and processed meat products (pork roll, scrapple, etc.)

What ice cream flavor would you be?
Berry Graham Crunch

What’s your favorite kitchen gadget or appliance?
Immersion blender and microplane…it’s a tie!

Favorite fruit: grapes and berries
Favorite veggie: kale, chard or Brussels sprouts…but I love them all!
Favorite kid-friendly dish: chicken fingers and mac and cheese
Favorite cookbook: Jamie Oliver’s Jamie At Home – all about growing your own food and bringing it to life in the kitchen

Mexican or Italian?
That’s tough…I am 100% Italian so I am a huge fan, but my husband loves Mexican food (we actually were married in Mexico) so we eat it often. As long as it is fresh and full of colors and flavors, I’m in!

PB&J sandwich or grilled cheese?
Grilled cheese (a little burnt) — this is 100% comfort food.

You get one food-related wish — what would it be?
To have an amazing organic farm (and someone to tend to it), full of all of my favorite fruits and veggies and a year-round growing season so I always had local, fresh ingredients!

See Katie’s full professional credentials here.

The Skinnytaste Cookbook: Light on Calories, Big on Flavor

What does skinny taste like? Just ask Gina Homolka. For six years, low-fat foodie Gina Homolka has been satisfying the tastebuds of a loyal following ...

1. shannon says:

Welcome Katie! Are you going to share you Mediteranean Coucous recipe with us? Please?

2. Tara Bucci says:

So excited to use some of your tips and recipes for my family. So glad your on here! :)

3. Bill says:

Does anyone know if Katie attended Penn State?

4. Rebecca says:

Katie is absolutely fabulous!! I’ve worked with her in the past and she is very compassionate and understanding I people’s needs!! Congrats!!

5. Wendi says:

Ok while eating healthy is important…after seeing katie on the next food network star I have to say that I would rather look elsewhere for tips on how to make delicious meals. She is way over the top.

6. Amber says:

I agree with wendi. Katie honey…the food network is not for you. People these days dont only want to focus on the health aspect of food, with all the craziness going on in the world…many people want a nice mac and cheese type meal to jump into

7. Kristine Brabson says:

Amber and Wendi, don’t let the wonders of TV editing get you down on eating healthy! Katie is full of lots of good ideas and delicious recipes, which we’re happy to feature here — along with our own delicious bits of info. We’d never promote eating to battle tough times, but food can make you feel better (refreshed and healthy) and not just by downing a bowl of 1000-calorie mac and cheese.

8. Sally says:

I agree with Wendi and Amber. I don’t think the majority of people have ever wanted to focus on “healthy food.” I think the focus needs to be on food that tastes good and also happens to be healthy instead of food that is healthy and also happens to taste good.

9. Crystal says:

I wish all of the chefs on food network cooked healthy…with the exception of Paula that is…she can deep fry the butter if she wants too.. love her! Many people are health conscious and have always been, so your culinary point of view is much needed and I cant wait to try some of your recipes…

10. Megan says:

Perhaps some of these critics are right, that fattening food can be an elusive, tempting, and seemingly easier choice. But regardless of this, focusing on healthy food is what people need. I have loved reading this blog to see another side of Katie. Her passion and expertise is clear. With practice, I hope it will come through on camera so we can get more of her!