Dressing Up Your Canned Tuna

by in Healthy Tips, May 12, 2009

tuna pasta
The classic tuna sandwich will never go out of style, but you can kick up canned tuna with more than just slices of bread and a dollop of mayo. Here are some easy-to-make ideas that can transform eating simple canned tuna (and salmon) into a new, improved and healthy experience.

The Nutritional Benefits
Both canned tuna and salmon (packed in water) are high in protein and many energy-boosting B-vitamins. Two ounces (or 1/4 cup) of canned tuna contains 50 calories, 0.5 grams of fat and is carb-free. Tuna and salmon are also packed with selenium, a trace mineral that helps keep the body in top working order. (You can get 64% of your daily needs in one 2-ounce serving.) It’s still unclear the role selenium plays in cancer prevention, but you may see the name popping in and out of the news as new studies are published.

Both tuna and salmon are high in omega-3 fats, which are trumpeted for their heart-healthy benefits as well as contributions to growth and brain function. Try getting 4 to 5 ounces, twice a week, and choose chunk light tuna, which studies show have lower mercury levels.

Canned Fish Ideas
Canned tuna or fish is a hot commodity in my house, so we always have plenty on hand. And when cans run for less than $3 a pop, they’re a thrifty protein choice. Here are some ways I’ve used the canned stuff successfully:

• Tossed with pasta and tomato sauce
  • Mixed in a green salad with romaine lettuce, tomatoes and radishes
  • Formed into salmon cakes, cooked in the pan and finished in the oven
  • In a tuna casserole

When I went searching for more recipes to try, I came across a Peruvian Canned Tuna Ceviche (a.k.a. Ceviche De Atun). Of course, the title made me click on it — it does look tasty: a mix of jalapeno, onions, lime juice and cilantro. I haven’t tried it yet, but if you do, let me know what you think.

Recipes to try:

Tuna and Crab Wraps
Tuna and Green Bean Salad
Spaghetti with Spicy Tuna Marinara (above)

TELL US: What’s your trick for kicking up canned fish?

Countdown to New Year’s: No-Resolutions Resolution Week 2

If you’re just joining us, it’s not too late to get on board with our No-Resolutions Resolution plan for 2015. We’re grabbing hold of th...

1. My favrite healthy/diet lunch is tuna salad with no mayo added. Into one can of drained tuna, I chop up a bit of onion, celery, tomatoes and green olives, season with a bit of fresh ground pepper and “Voila”! An easy, economical, healthy and lo-cal lunch.

2. Julie Rogers says:

For an easy lunch at work, I bring a pouch of tuna and a can of Mrs. Dash’s lemon pepper seasoning. It’s perfect and easier than fiddling with chopping stuff or squeezing a real lemon.

3. Mamie says:

Tuna is great with a squirt of fresh lemon, a splash of balsamic vinegar with chopped cucumber/celery and apples/grapes…something sweet and crunchy!

4. Judy Johnson says:

I tend to eat way too many carbs.. so a salad loaded with veggies and tuna is a great way to have lunch without feeling deprived. And if you use Dana’s simple salad dressing it makes for a yummie lunch without calories or carbs. I like Michele’s idea of adding green olives. Judy Johnson

5. Jamie says:

Try canned tuna (drained) with fresh black pepper and picante or hot sauce.

6. kepeters says:

I mix tuna with a couple of tablespoons of organic salsa or sometimes pineapple salsa for a quick, easy lunch that is low fat. It is great alone or on whole wheat pita with sprouts and cucumber slices. Easy and delicious!

7. Juanita says:

For a groovy eastern flare, try a little EVOO, green onion,black pepper, curry powder, cumin and corriander. Scoop it on a mound of shredded lettuce or baby greens tossed with dried currants, cranberries. Top the tuna roasted unsalted almonds or shredded carrots for crunch.

8. Julie Murphy says:

MMMMMMM Tuna!!!!
    I mix Albacore with some finely diced red onion,jalapeno,cracked black pepper, mayo mixed with cilantro and a squeeze of lime juice. Serve with tortilla chips!!!

9. Crystal says:

I mix tuna with ranch, dijon mustard, onion, pecans, dill relish, hardboiled eggs & coarse ground peppper!:) yum, I could eat some right now

10. Sandy says:

May be great for omega 3s but every can I’ve read is loaded in sodium !! Anyone know of one that is not ?? thanks