Picking Safe, Sustainable Fish

by in Food Safety, Healthy Tips, April 20, 2009

No doubt, fish are healthy eats, but shopping for them can get confusing. Is this one full of mercury? Where did that one come from? Do I need to worry about overfishing? Farm-raised or wild? Here are some resources to help make the safest and most eco-friendly choices.

Go to the Right Sources
The Monterey Bay Aquarium’s Seafood Watch program aims to help consumers make seafood choices that keep oceans healthy and their dinner plates safe. They identify sustainable fishing operations and offer many downloadable pocket guides for various parts of the country (different seafood is more accessible to different geographical regions). Some guides are available in Spanish as well as English, and you can even get downloads to your iPhone. They really make it handy.

The guides have an easy-to-read, color-coded system that lists seafood that’s caught or raised in a sustainable manor and that’s low in mercury and other contaminants. (They also have a stand-alone guide for sushi.) Choosing isn’t all black and white — there are so many varieties of seafood to try. To help narrow it down, start with your favorite fish or target your region.

Here are some examples from a couple of the 2009 guides:

Northeast Guide:

• Best Choices: Farmed Artic Char, Wild Alaskan Salmon, U.S.-Farmed Tilapia,
  • Good Alternatives: Mahi Mahi, U.S. Shrimp (farmed or wild), Lobster
  • Avoid: Atlantic Cod, Red Snapper, Imported Swordfish
    West Coast Guide:

• Best Choices: Pacific Cod, U.S.-Farmed Catfish, Wild Pollock
  • Good Alternatives: Sea Scallops, US Shrimp (farmed or wild), Yellowfin tuna
  • Avoid: Monkfish, Orange Roughy, Imported King Crab

Read Those Labels
When at the market, check packaging for the country of origin or ask your fishmonger. You can also look for the Marine Stewardship Council (MSC) seal. The MSC certifies sustainable fishing operations throughout the country.

Tags:

How to Create a BPA-Free Kitchen

Bisephenol-A (BPA) has gotten a lot of negative attention in the press. So much so, that a new legislation was recently introduced to ban food packaging containing BPA. But there’s no need to wait until the government gets around to banning the stuff. Create a BPA-free kitchen using these simple tips.

1. My coder is trying to convince me to move to .net from PHP. I have always disliked the idea because of the costs. But he’s tryiong none the less. I’ve been using WordPress on several websites for about a year and am concerned about switching to another platform. I have heard fantastic things about blogengine.net. Is there a way I can import all my wordpress content into it? Any kind of help would be really appreciated!

2. Emil Arie says:

Having read this I believed it was really informative. I appreciate you finding the time and energy to put this content together. I once again find myself personally spending way too much time both reading and leaving comments. But so what, it was still worthwhile!

3. shop ray ban says:

wholesale AAA oakley sunglassesoakley sunglasses for cheap shp cheap ~!~!

4. kliknij to says:

February 15th, 2012 at 8:33 am

5. I want to read an individual’s entries! Nowhere better encountered this sort of sincere along with dedicated web page! You can see from the very concerned regarding the high good quality of blog posts and Groundbreaking, i was admit that you really manage it totally!

6. Informacja jest to wyró¿nienie przez pewien uk³ad informacyjny (odbiorcê), ze swojego repertuaru, pewnego stanu wyró¿nionego (przez odró¿nienie go od innego stanu wyró¿nionego), odbijaj¹ce wyró¿nienie stanu wyró¿nionego uk³adu informacyjnego bêd¹cego nadawc¹

7. Not clear on what you might have in mind, Laila. Can you give us some more information?

8. opony says:

I have to show appreciation to this writer for bailing me out of such a predicament. Because of scouting through the world wide web and finding proposals which are not powerful, I assumed my entire life was over. Existing without the presence of solutions to the problems you’ve fixed through the guideline is a crucial case, and those which may have in a wrong way affected my entire career if I hadn’t encountered your web blog. Your own personal ability and kindness in taking care of all things was precious. I don’t know what I would have done if I had not discovered such a subject like this. It’s possible to at this time look forward to my future. Thank you so much for the reliable and sensible help. I won’t hesitate to recommend your web site to anybody who would need guidance on this situation.

9. katalogi says:

I would like to get across my appreciation for your generosity giving support to women who must have help on that topic. Your special commitment to passing the solution all over turned out to be surprisingly good and has empowered professionals like me to achieve their aims. Your new insightful recommendations signifies a whole lot a person like me and far more to my peers. Best wishes; from each one of us.

10. Crecre09 says:

Typing in all CAPS is equivilant to yelling at some one sitting next you. : )

11. P. Yen says:

Go for live talapia, but you must have the stomach to see them being killed in front of you. Most oriental market carries them in the water tank.

12. lurl says:

Not only is the fish horrible be careful and understand what you read on the label.
    The front of the package states it is wild caught Alaskan fish…then you read the back of the package hidden in the corner and it states is is from CHINA. I would hate to tell you how they handle fish. You can look it up if you are interested.
    How about shrimp farms? In Pakistan and Indonesia where there are so many and they are imported here during the last huge storm season they found bodies that had been dead for days in the shrimp pens. Do you really want to eat this?
    Buy white shrimp from the Gulf of Mexico(USA) or from other areas in the south that are on the ocean and they send out shrimp boats to get them wild and fresh.
    They cost a little more but your health is well worth it.

13. lurl says:

It is not if its fresh or not the problem is how it is raised. Is it farm fish or wild.
    Tilapia that is farm raised is trash fish.

14. cikb2 says: