Finding the Right Snack Bars

by in Healthy Recipes, Healthy Tips, April 1, 2009

snack bars
We’ve talked about how to pick the right energy bars. On the flip side, there are snack bars to choose from, too. Here are some of our favorites.

Snack Bars vs. Energy Bars
Unlike energy bars, snack bars are for between meals. Energy bars tend to be higher in calories and are meant to give more active individuals extra calories and energy — too much for just a snack.

Many snack bars are made with granola mixes — that is, a combo of oats, nuts, seeds and dried fruit and small amounts of sugar and fat. Some packaged granola bars also add in chocolate, fudge and pieces of candy (most of those wouldn’t make our approval list). Dozens of granola and fruit bars are available these days and some are better than others (see our faves below).

Remember, these shouldn’t be your go-to snack all the time. Non-fat yogurt, fruit or a handful of nuts are also easy and portable alternatives. It’s important to rotate your snacks — and all foods, really — to get a variety of nutrients.

What to Look For
If you’re looking to lose weight, choose a bar with less than 150 calories. If you’re just looking to maintain, then go for one with 200 calories or less. There are a few of my favorites (ones marked with an * are a good choice for those trying to lose weight):

Make Your Own
Of course, creating your own low-cal snack bars is often better. You get to pick your ingredients and flavor combos — plus, less packaging waste.

[Photo: Tom Censani]

7 Ways to Show Apples You Love Them

Fall may not be officially here yet, but that doesn’t mean you can’t get psyched about the star fruit of the season. Rustic Apple Pie wit...

1. maddy says:

what do you think about AGAVE SWEETNER can you give me your opinion on this product thank you

2. I tried the Praeventia Bars in my Hannaford Store in MA, they are amazing with prebiotics and red wine extracts. Only 100 cal. I love them. They are also available on Amazon

3. Sydney says:

Fiber 1 bars are bad!!!!!! My mom was eating one and it broke her tooth!!!!!!! :O u owe my mom a tooth fiber 1 bar company

4. BumbleBar says:

Hi all! I just wanted to suggest another alternative. BumbleBars are the original certified organic, vegan and gluten free sesame snack bar. We just launched a Jr. size that comes in our most popular flavors–Amazing almond, Original Peanut and Chocolate crisp. They are just 90-100 calories, have 2-3grams protien and 1-2grams of fiber. They are made with flax seed, sesame seed and brown rice syrup and/or evaporated cane juice. You can read more on our Facebook page at: http://www.facebook.com/pages/BumbleBar/182186641

5. Your ability to write about this specific information and facts is just what most of us desire. Simply by expressing your knowledge you help other people via expressing your very own information. And I will tell you now your article assisted me.

6. Shirley says:

Your should try the Special K brand. All of theirs taste amazing and are only 90 calories. they have tons of flavors and are very fufilling.

7. How to install a custom blog design while using ftp publishing?

8. This is really fascinating, You are an overly skilled blogger. I’ve joined your rss feed and sit up for in search of extra of your fantastic post. Also, I’ve shared your web site in my social networks!

9. Doyle Jones says:

I really like your writing style, wonderful information, thanks for putting up :D. “Your central self is totally untouched By grief, confusion, desperation.” by Vernon Howard.

10. In Colina says:

Yay google is my queen aided me to find this outstanding website ! . “The most dangerous strategy is to jump a chasm in two leaps.” by Benjamin Disraeli.