Meet This Grain: Wheat Berries

by in Healthy Tips, February 24, 2009

wheat berry salad
Wheat berries are a true whole grain! You may not recognize the name, but without these kernels, there would be no flour. Wheat berries are loaded with nutrients and are as easy as rice to prepare — perfect for a meal any time of year.

What are wheat berries?
Wheat berries are whole wheat kernels. They look like thick, short grains — similar to brown rice. Industrious folks grind them into whole wheat flour for baking; you may not have the time to regularly grind your own flour, but it’s a fun thing to try at least once.

When boiled, cooked wheat berries have a chewy bite and subtle nutty, earthy flavor. They’re sturdy enough to handle bold salad dressings and still delicate enough to taste delicious with some milk, honey and cinnamon.

If you like sprouts on salads and sandwiches, add a little water to wheat berries and you can grow your own wheat sprouts.

Why are wheat berries “Healthy Eats”?
Since the wheat kernel is left intact, virtually none of the nutrients are stripped away. A cup of cooked wheat berries has about 300 calories and is packed with fiber, protein and iron. Tasty sprouts are loaded with vitamin E, a cell-protecting antioxidant, and magnesium, which is good for healthy bones and muscles.

What do you do with wheat berries?
Look for wheat berries at a health food store or in the natural foods section of your local supermarket.

Prepare wheat berriesin salted boiling water — just like other grains. Add cooked wheat berries to soups or even chili. Serve hot as a side dish with hearty mushrooms or cold for a satisfying salad full of flavor and whole grain goodness. Wheat berries have nutty flavor so they’re great with fresh vegetables and dried fruit such as cherries or cranberries.

Wheat berry recipes to try:

READ MORE:

6 Healthy Eating Apps That Are Worth a Download

There are so many health and fitness apps it can make hard to determine which ones are worthwhile. Here are 8 healthy food apps that you’ll actually use regularly.

1. Brandon says:

Several people have inquired where to buy wheat berries . . . Dodsworth Farms is a family farm in Colorado that sells hard red winter wheat berries directly to consumers. I have used it to make delicious, nutritious whole wheat bread. It's not organic but it is Non-GMO, all natural and chemical free. It also comes already vacuum sealed in 5 pound bags. Their website is http://www.dodsworthfarms.com

2. rosalie says:

I found wheat berry in a Russian store.
    I believe that any Asian or European grocery store in US
    sells wheat berry. Rosalie

3. Susan says:

I saw them on TV in 1984. The lady had a sm cookbook out. She said you can mix cooked wberries with hamburger, to make meatballs, meatloaf, etc- in order to stretch your meat budget really far. The berries soak up the meat flavor (kinda like tofu takes the flavor of the other ingredients). That way, if you eat meat, you don't eat so much. In 1984, the woman actually showed how you could only spend $40 per month on meat. I'll post again, if I find the little cookbook anywhere. Susan

4. Kim says:

I cook them and keep them in the fridge. WHen I need a quick pick me up.. I spread some low fat cream cheese on a stalk of celery and top it with wheat berries…. I LOVE them and I always stay full for hours after I eat them. I also love them with a little bit of honey and coconut milk – like rice pudding on steroids.. YUMMY and tasty and filling

5. Is there a website that makes it easy to follow blogs and podcasts? I don’t have an iPod, does that matter?.

6. I have witnessed that clever realtors everywhere anyone go are beginning warm up to FSBO Advertising and marketing. They tend to be acknowledging that it’s not only placing an indicator post inside front residence. It’s really regarding building associations using these dealers who later can be consumers. So, whenever an individual give your time and effort to supporting these suppliers go this alone the law associated using Reciprocity leg techinques in. Good short article.

7. hier says:

That is my first time i go submit. I compiled a lot interesting things in your site particularly its discussion. From the heaps of feedback on your posts, I guess I am not the solely one possessing all the satisfaction here! retain up the excellent work.Regards The guest may not uncover anything on the registry that caters to which time of the day.

8. Hi there to every single one, it’s genuinely a good for me to visit this web site, it consists of precious Information.

9. Dianna says:

A very good brand of wheat berries is Arrowhead Mills. If you have a healthfood store and they don't carry them, ask, they may be able to order them for you.

10. Check This says:

Thanks for revealing exceptional information’s. Your website is very cool. I’m astounded by the important points that you have on this site. It discloses how properly someone perceives this particular subject matter. Many thanks a whole lot regarding giving everybody an extremely wonderful opportunity to go through in more detail using this web site. It is usually very useful as well as, stuffed with a great time in my opinion and also my own workplace colleagues to search your website at the least 3 times weekly to analyze the newest secrets and techniques you’ve got. In my opinion, when most webmasters and also bloggers created very good articles while you probably do, the net will likely be considerably more valuable than any other time. http://www.autoglassrepairhq.com/